Multifunction Switch

Maree74

Reaction score
City, State
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 — just a standard mo
1997 4.0 Standard Explorer
So I've now removed the multifunction switch to start fault finding.
Wiring diagrams are lacking some information when I just have the switch in my hand. I can see the numbers adjacent to all the terminals but I cannot link these to any numbers on the wiring diagrams.
I've tried searching for terminal descriptions but have not found any yet.
Does anyone know of a picture or diagram that indicates what all the outputs/inputs are on the multifunction switch?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1997 4.0 Standard Explorer
So I've now removed the multifunction switch to start fault finding.
Wiring diagrams are lacking some information when I just have the switch in my hand. I can see the numbers adjacent to all the terminals but I cannot link these to any numbers on the wiring diagrams.
I've tried searching for terminal descriptions but have not found any yet.
Does anyone know of a picture or diagram that indicates what all the outputs/inputs are on the multifunction switch?
Thanks
What is the multifunction switch?

The turn signal stalk switch.

What is the issue?

Best bet is to just replace it, or take it apart and clean it. Both would likely fix your issue. It’s common for these to come partially unhooked and cause intermittent use.

What is the multifunction switch?
Hi, its the steering column switch that controls direction indicators, windscreen wipers and washer, and headlight main beam and dipped beam.
So I dismantled this switch and cleaned it and polished contacts with a fibre glass pen. Resembled and refitted, it works as before but still have the problem of no dipped headlights(low beam) 🤔😕.
The plus side is that I can eliminate this switch in my fault finding.. 🙂

What you need isn’t in there?

The high beams stay on with headlight switch, and flash high beams when you pull the lever, but no low beams ever?

What you need isn’t in there?
Yeah, your right.
Checked all fuses now. I've ordered a couple of relays to check them out, after that I guess it's down to the wiring?

Should also be a relay involved.

To test relays, you might be able to just swap the relays with other relays in the vehicle already. Check for voltage at each point in the circuit with a multimeter to see where power stops.

There's wiring diagrams for that in my sig, but to address the MFS pinout:

Multi Function Switch testing.png

To test relays, you might be able to just swap the relays with other relays in the vehicle already. Check for voltage at each point in the circuit with a multimeter to see where power stops.

There's wiring diagrams for that in my sig, but to address the MFS pinout:

View attachment 438324
Thanks J_C. This is great and I'll get onto it tomorrow probably.
My Explorer is outside and its a bit stormy just now - and dark 👌this is just what I was looking for...

BIG apologies to you all !!!!

Turns out that the problem was both dipped beam headlights had blown.

I'd had a breakdown mechanic try to start my Explorer a few days ago (Immobilizer problem) and he used jumpleads and another vehicle to try to start the engine, I think he blew the dipped beam lights ! ! !

Thanks for all help and advice that you guys gave me, I'd give you all a flash of my dipped beams if I could 😂😂

Jumping the car didn’t blow the headlights.

They wore out.

Back