• Register Today It's free!

Must buy 4 new tires?

steven7todd

Reaction score
City, State
Sunnyvale, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT
Hello. I have a 2006 Explorer and have damaged one tire. The rest are in pretty good condition. I'm being told that I have to replace all four because it's "all wheel drive." Is this true?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not true. The tires only have to be within a certain % of eachother. Even the most warn tire VS a brand new tire of the same size will be within spec.

Not true. The tires only have to be within a certain % of eachother. Even the most warn tire VS a brand new tire of the same size will be within spec.

That is exactly right. Don't replace all.

I would replace it with the same brand and style as the other three.

If you have an AWD Explorer, then it's in your best interest to replace all 4, at least that's what I have to do with my AWD Jaguar. You risk screwing your transfer case in the long run, which is an expensive fix.

I don't like $2k repair bills, so I replaced all 4 tires and now I dont have to worry :)

That's what I've heard Spartan but at this point I'm not sure if it's AWD or not. It has three modes......4X4 Auto (which it normally operates in), 4X4 High, and 4X4 Low. The tire shop people are telling me that 4X4 Auto means that it's AWD and the manual simply says that 4X4 Auto has power going to all the wheels. But I've heard from a handful of others that 4X4 Auto means that it normally operates in 2 wheel drive but when the vehicle senses sufficient rear wheel slippage it automatically kicks into 4 wheel drive.

That's what I've heard Spartan but at this point I'm not sure if it's AWD or not. It has three modes......4X4 Auto (which it normally operates in), 4X4 High, and 4X4 Low. The tire shop people are telling me that 4X4 Auto means that it's AWD and the manual simply says that 4X4 Auto has power going to all the wheels. But I've heard from a handful of others that 4X4 Auto means that it normally operates in 2 wheel drive but when the vehicle senses sufficient rear wheel slippage it automatically kicks into 4 wheel drive.

In that case, you have a 4WD Explorer, and you don't have to buy 4 tires. However, you should buy two and rotate the others to the front. If possible, get the same exact tires you have already.

At least you don't have to buy 4 tires. I can tell you that it's quite a PITA when you get a flat, and have to buy 4 tires to prevent screwing your transfer case. Our new Explorer doesn't have it, and when I replace the Jaguar, I won't be buying another AWD car.

how did u damage one of ur tires did u run over curb or did it get flat or what happend excatly

how did u damage one of ur tires did u run over curb or did it get flat or what happend excatly

Run over a curb?:thumbdwn: :)

I ended up getting a flat on the interstate. Put on the crappy Continental Full Size Spare that came with the car til I got tires a few days later.

It was about time for me to get tires anyway, so I wasn't too upset about it.

I'm not even sure what caused mine to originally deflate. All I can think of is that I checked it with a pressure gauge that morning and maybe something was wrong with the stem because it only deflated partially and I didn't realize it until about 150 miles later. duh. By that time the side-wall was pretty well damaged but it held 50 p.s.i for the next 48 hours and then I found it totally deflated yesterday morning. Any suggestions on brands for all season tires? I'm thinking I'm just going to replace all four. I was considering Bridgestone Dueler H/T until I read a few reviews.

I'm searching for tires, and came across this thread in a search.
For anyone wondering:
The 4WD-Auto in the Explorer is the same thing as the AWD system in my Mountaineer:
Explorer 4WD-Auto = Mounty AWD (normal mode)
Explorer 4WD-Hi (via dash button) = Mounty 4x4 lock (via setup menu)
The only real difference:
Explorer 4WD-Low.....not available on Mounty.

I've always wondered what 4-low actually means in my 2006 Explorer.

Do the front/rear/center differentials actually lock, or is there some type of limited slip technology used in the center and/or the axle differentials?

Does it differ from 4 high, or is 4 high the same but with different gearing/torque?

Well, what I was referring to is the center differential/transfer case. What you have at the front and rear is separate.

The buttons available to you in your Explorer lock and unlock the center differential, and engage the torque-multiplying low-range (4x4-low).

But these trucks (I think) do not have anything for locking/unlocking the front or rear diffs.
The front and rear axles could be:
Open/open (like my Mountaineer)
Open front/limited-slip rear (certainly an option for the Explorer)
Limited-slip front and rear (may be an option...I'm not sure).

These options have certainly changed over the years. Not too long ago, if you weren't locked into 4x4, you were in 4x2 (no auto engagement). I think you could choose between different transfer cases with the Ex, whether you wanted normal driving in RWD (with 4x4 capability on demand), or if you wanted normal driving in AWD (aka 4x4 auto), with locking on demand.

Browsing the axles/diff/transfer case section would give more info, but most there are not yet talking about the 4th gens.

if the vehicle is a awd, and the 3 other tires are high mileage, yes you need 4 new tires. if they are all low mileage 0-15k you can probably get away with it.

its not awd, its a 4x4.

you still need matching tires when 4x4 locks in.

keep in mind there is more variation in revolutions per mile when one tire is about 5-7 psi lower pressure than the rest than there is with one new tire and others half life. Open differentials and auto engagement only when slippery can certainly deal with this minor variarion. otherwise you couldnt make turns without binding

Speaking here from very little experience with 4WD, but with enough book knowledge to get myself in trouble. So be gentle....

With an AWD vehicle (which is what 4x4-Auto in the Explorer really is), some torque (35% IIRC) is always going to the front. As long as there is no slip front to rear, the viscous coupling is not getting used, and heat will not build up. The problem is when 1 wheel has to turn faster due to smaller diameter. Like someone said, with open diffs, it's probably not an issue. But if you have a limited slip axle, I think it could introduce a problem.

I remember reading that if heat build in the viscous coupling to the point something will be damaged, the center diff will automatically lock until the temperatures go back down. For my Mounty, the 4x4 indicated lights in the dash. For the Explorer, that would have the 4x4-Hi engaged. When locked, there is no slip, and the coupling can cool back down.

So that is probably the answer. Get the bad tire replaced. If you find yourself going into 4x4-Hi without pushing the button, you probably need to replace the others.

Back