• Register Today It's free!

my 04 ex any ideas?

krajik1

Reaction score
City, State
denver colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
I have a 2004 Ford explorer on 20 I'm thinking about lowering it i dont like the gap between the tire and fender I would post pics but I don't know how..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make a Photobucket account, upload your pictures from there and copy and paste the direct links.

I have a 2004 Ford explorer on 20 I'm thinking about lowering it i dont like the gap between the tire and fender I would post pics but I don't know how..

Give me a few weeks and I'll let you know how my lowering goes. I put new shocks in the front and cut 3/4's off the coil spring and it lowered it a hair, but the way the new shocks are designed, it actually defeated what I was trying to do. I am going to take a little more off and then I need to get the rears installed and do the same.

The ride is 100x's better because the original shocks were shot(leaking).

(deleted by admin)

Make a Photobucket account, upload your pictures from there and copy and paste the direct links.

Good to see someone being helpful:thumbsup:

Give me a few weeks and I'll let you know how my lowering goes. I put new shocks in the front and cut 3/4's off the coil spring and it lowered it a hair, but the way the new shocks are designed, it actually defeated what I was trying to do. I am going to take a little more off and then I need to get the rears installed and do the same.

Keep in mind that the springs will settle with a bit of driving. It might be a good idea to let that happen before cutting any more off.

Keep in mind that the springs will settle with a bit of driving. It might be a good idea to let that happen before cutting any more off.

They are the originals, so I doubt they will settle much more, if at all.

The reason it didn't lower as much as I thought it would is because the new struts(Monrow Relfex) seem to compress the spring more because there is less distance between the top/bottom where the spings rest compared to the old ones(make sense?). I should have measure the difference and then I would have cut the proper amount off. I'll be sure to measure the rears when I do them.

They are the originals, so I doubt they will settle much more, if at all.

Ah, I did not catch that. Please be aware that the factory springs are known for breaking. It would be a good idea to replace them and not modify them, as that makes it even more likely they will break.

Ah, I did not catch that. Please be aware that the factory springs are known for breaking. It would be a good idea to replace them and not modify them, as that makes it even more likely they will break.

I am aware and have seen an Explorer or two around here limping to one side because of that issue. I've got 153,000 miles on mine and no issues yet(knock on wood).

I'm considering this a test more than anything because no one(that I know of) has tried this and it's a cheap mod for those that want to lower their Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviators. The idea comes from the Mustang crowd because they have a straight rate springs and can lower their cars without affecting ride quality.

I am aware and have seen an Explorer or two around here limping to one side because of that issue. I've got 153,000 miles on mine and no issues yet(knock on wood).

I'm considering this a test more than anything because no one(that I know of) has tried this and it's a cheap mod for those that want to lower their Explorer/Mountaineer/Aviators. The idea comes from the Mustang crowd because they have a straight rate springs and can lower their cars without affecting ride quality.

Cool, just wanted to make sure you were informed. From what I remember of the coils they neck down to seat properly at the hats top and bottom. I had considered cutting them, but that kept me from going through with it...that and the factory coil issue. Good luck, keep us posted, and most importantly be careful!

b3f4b5ca.jpg

This is my ex I dislike the gap between the tire and fender thinking about lowering it. Any ideas on how or what to do...

I have 20s on it right now and they look nice but the gap bugs me..if u guys have any other ideas let me know I also have hids on it...
1bf6f51c.jpg

b0dd0398.jpg

If its something do-able for you paint match the bumpers..But its pretty clean to begin with!

looks sweet nice colour same as mine... I like the rim choice x2 on the colour match. The gap isn't even that bad, but maybe bigger tires? what are you running on there now?

Looking great man! X3 on color match! Keep the tire size and lower down with ground force springs, i did mine at the same time as new struts for an additonal cost of about 65 a tire. Really makes the truck drive like a sports care and leaves just enough gap to make 20's sing.

@ c0rtney my tire are 275/45/r20 and u got a lot of cool **** on ur ride too I wondering on were u bought ur intake and does the chip really work I was planning on getting a supecharger in mine but it is a lot of hassle.....

@ zerodevil were did u buy them at and do u have pics u can send me or post up on how they look..is ur x all time 4 wheel drive tho cuz I hear things about lowering 4 by 4s and they say it ducks it up I live in colorado and I need it here for the winter...

@ zerodevil were did u buy them at and do u have pics u can send me or post up on how they look..is ur x all time 4 wheel drive tho cuz I hear things about lowering 4 by 4s and they say it ducks it up I live in colorado and I need it here for the winter...

Your 4x4 will be fine. Mine is 4x4 and I have 20's with 274/45/20 tires as well with no issues since the tire size is close to stock height. The only time you will notice issues is if you mix tire sizes.

Secondly, myself and zerodevil both bought our tuners from James Henson. He is a vendor on here and his site is hensonperformance.com. I knocked .5 seconds off my ET with the addition of the tune.

@ c0rtney my tire are 275/45/r20 and u got a lot of cool **** on ur ride too I wondering on were u bought ur intake and does the chip really work I was planning on getting a supecharger in mine but it is a lot of hassle.....

Thanks. I bought an intake for an 02/03 and a specter adapter and made it work. Here's a better explanation http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298477

AS for the chip I think it helps but I didn't dyno it or anything so not sure on the gains. I Really like the vivid superchip it does alot of cool stuff. I'm running the milage x tune right now and its a noticible difference in gas millage.

Back