My 1997 Ford Aerostar van won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1997 Ford Aerostar van won't start.

johnaero

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Aerostar 4.0 Liter
1997 Ford Aerostar van, 4.0 Liter engine won't start. Not getting 12 volts at the "start wire" when the ignition key is in the "start position." Could it be the "ignition lock cylinder" and/or the "ignition wiring harness" that is defective, and if so, how to troubleshoot these electronic devices? Thanks in advance for your detailed response!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Neutral safety switch could be bad. Have you tried to start it with the transmission in neutral?

Neutral safety switch could be bad. Have you tried to start it with the transmission in neutral?
The neutral safety switch was checked and the transmission was started in both park and neutral but nothing happened. I also checked for 12 volts at the starter wire while the ignition switch was in the start position but again nothing occurred and no 12 volts. Do you think that it could be that either the ignition lock cylinder is bad or the wiring harness (switch) behind the lock cylinder?

The switch could be bad, but at the starter relay there is a fusible link that provides power to the ignition switch, have you confirmed it is still good?

The switch could be bad, but at the starter relay there is a fusible link that provides power to the ignition switch, have you confirmed it is still good?
Thanks Josh! Where exactly is this "fusible link" and how do I check it?

It is on the drivers side fender, #2 in the picture. It should be a black #16 wire that goes to a few smaller gauge wires. Probe it with a volt meter.

Pic_38-1b.jpg

Back