• Register Today It's free!

My 2002 Explorer xlt shakes.

Reefmaster00

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
I replaced my plugs, and wires but my engine shakes now worse than it did before and I don't know why. I've tried the fuel injector cleaner with the premium gas and it still shakes, it idles rough all the time whether i'm at a stop light or stop sign and sometimes will die on me if i turn my wheel all the way to turn when i don't press the gas. WTF? any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it running rough too or just vibrating? If it appears to run smooth but just vibrate you could have a broken motor mount.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. Did you check the gap of the new spark plugs prior to installation? What about the firing order? Double check your work to make sure that all of the cables are connnected correctly in their proper locations. What brand of plugs & cables did you buy?

Maybe a bad fuel filter?

I replaced my plugs, and wires but my engine shakes now worse than it did before and I don't know why. I've tried the fuel injector cleaner with the premium gas and it still shakes, it idles rough all the time whether i'm at a stop light or stop sign and sometimes will die on me if i turn my wheel all the way to turn when i don't press the gas. WTF? any help?

first guess would be you got the firing order wrong - second guess would be you popped a vacuum line loose somewhere. rough idle/dying could be caused by either one, but if it runs smooth while cruising/accelerating then i would guess it's a vacuum line.

it runs rough and idles rough. it'll skip sometimes when i'm driving on the highway usually around 1500 rpm. it hasn't stalled on me lately but its really irritating. i'll have to check the vacuum and i'll let you know. the plug lines are right, i did them one by one so i know those are right.

When you get the chance, pull your plugs and inspect them; first double-check for proper gap and visually inspect the entire plug. Also, double check that the new wires are fully seated in the coil pack.

it runs rough and idles rough. it'll skip sometimes when i'm driving on the highway usually around 1500 rpm. it hasn't stalled on me lately but its really irritating. i'll have to check the vacuum and i'll let you know. the plug lines are right, i did them one by one so i know those are right.

vacuum leaks are more apparent at lower rpm so that would still be my first guess, but i still wouldnt rule out the spark plug gap or a loose plug wire.

You didn't use Bosch plugs did you? They are known to cause "indigestion" in Explorers. If that's what you used, swap them out for a set of Autolite Platinums.

i had an intake gasket leak and the rough idle/shaking got much worse after replacing my wires and plugs. perhaps a vaccum leak. from what i have read on here intake manifold gaskets are a common cause for this condition on the sohc v6.

i had an intake gasket leak and the rough idle/shaking got much worse after replacing my wires and plugs. perhaps a vaccum leak. from what i have read on here intake manifold gaskets are a common cause for this condition on the sohc v6.

i've had my intake off a few times since i got my truck, but never replaced the gasket, probably wouldnt be a bad idea :D i was just thinking about it today

Back