My 2016 Explorer Sport - Project Wanderlust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2016 Explorer Sport - Project Wanderlust

KrisH

Reaction score
City, State
Chino Hills, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 BMW X5M | 2013 F350
Hey everyone! I'm fairly new to this board but have been lurking and enjoying the incredible amount of knowledge and information that can be found here. You guys are awesome!

I'm currently building a custom 2016 Explorer Sport for this year's SEMA Show and thought I would post up to introduce myself and the project. It's a 2016 Explorer Sport which is getting a complete color change, custom carbon fiber trim panels, widebody fender flares, big brakes, and many other modifications. My very close friends at CGS Motorsports in Chino, CA have been kind enough to host my project as I work on it. They are working on three builds of their own, which will also be debuting at the SEMA Show.

Here is the concept rendering that I did for this build. My main business is doing digital renderings for people building custom cars, so this was the logical starting point:

lust-Ford-Explorer-Sport-by-Cars-by-Kris-2015-SEMA.jpg

Here is the car the day it arrived in SoCal:

CoBlnVG.jpg

X5sQM8P.jpg

3ZZzrg1.jpg

A few days later, it just kind of 'sploded...

yEMwx4B.jpg

Our good friends at Wilwood Engineering sent this box of goodies. Now, there isn't technically a Wilwood kit available for this platform, so we're going to be working with Todd from TCE Engineering to get these brakes mounted up and working on the Explorer.

f1OaQhe.jpg

Mike from Eco Power Parts got me set up with a set of PPE catless downpipes, which will ultimately flow through a CGS Motorsports cat-back system.

oSugECY.jpg

The Explorer was torn down further and sent down to Rideskinz for a set of custom fender flares. I can't post photos of them just yet, but for now, here's a shot of it headed out on a flatbed (exciting, I know!)

bMfIKx1.jpg

After a few weeks, she was ready for paint. My good friends at LGE*CTS Motorsports in San Dimas are handling the paint and always do an amazing job.

E0z9E0e.jpg

The car just came back from paint and looks incredible. I just installed some of the one-off carbon fiber parts from DinMann Carbon and couldn't be happier with the end product. Unfortunately from here on out, I can't share a whole lot until after the car debuts at SEMA, but I'll try to post little teasers here and there. I'll just leave you guys with this for now:

o0OL5pD.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and I look forward to posting up more shots soon!

Kris Horton
Cars by Kris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those cf pieces...amazing!

Thanks! I totally know not everyone will like/appreciate the carbon fiber accents because afterall, it's an SUV, but I thought it would contrast nicely with the metallic orange and give it a high-end feel. :)

very cool, but please post smaller photos.

very cool, but please post smaller photos.

Oh wow, I'm so sorry about that. I'm a bit spoiled as I work on dual 4K monitors. I just looked at the thread on my laptop and went "oh crap..."

Let me see if I can resize these!

Kris

EDIT:

OK, all resized, hopefully that's a bit better!

Amazing. Can't wait to see the fender flares!!

God, this looks awesome!!
where can I get that rooftop box?

love the CF

Oh wow, I'm so sorry about that. I'm a bit spoiled as I work on dual 4K monitors. I just looked at the thread on my laptop and went "oh crap..."

Let me see if I can resize these!

Kris

EDIT:

OK, all resized, hopefully that's a bit better!

Much appreciated! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

God, this looks awesome!!
where can I get that rooftop box?

Thanks!

The roof box is from a company called 56Nord. They're based in Sweden but will be offering this box shortly after SEMA. Mine is the first production box, but the prototype debuted on Jon Olsson's RS6 Avant not too long ago. It's all carbon fiber and retails at about $4000, but there is a paintable plastic version coming out as well which will be much less expensive.

Here are some pics, you can see this thing is crazy looking and very aerodynamic and stylish compared to current box offerings.

Kris

2015-audi-rs6-dtm-by-jon-_1280x0w.jpg

Audi-RS6-Avant-DTM-Jon-Olsson-05.jpg

jon-olsson-audi-rs-6-avant-01-5-1500x1001.jpg

Thanks!

The roof box is from a company called 56Nord. They're based in Sweden but will be offering this box shortly after SEMA. Mine is the first production box, but the prototype debuted on Jon Olsson's RS6 Avant not too long ago. It's all carbon fiber and retails at about $4000, but there is a paintable plastic version coming out as well which will be much less expensive.

Here are some pics, you can see this thing is crazy looking and very aerodynamic and stylish compared to current box offerings.

Kris
Kris, pics are still too large. As per my PM, please try and keep them in the 800X600 pixel range so we don't have to scroll L/R.
Thanks.

Peter

Kris, pics are still too large. As per my PM, please try and keep them in the 800X600 pixel range so we don't have to scroll L/R.
Thanks.

Peter

Is there a way to get the images to display smaller or do I have to upload them all over again? 800x600...damn, who's still running such a low resolution these days? :(

Is there a way to get the images to display smaller or do I have to upload them all over again? 800x600...damn, who's still running such a low resolution these days? :(
800X600 is a guideline to try and keep photos in an acceptable size. I find that the ones I post I have to resize on my computer before posting them to the forum. The Forum does not auto size them. You can leave the ones that are there but just keep the info in mind for further posts. Thanks.

Peter

I love the vehicle but I bet it would look even better if it was all monochrome black with the CF accents.

Nice job!

Wow! That is looking really nice! :thumbsup:

So cool seeing this go from rendering to reality. Nice work!

My photo hosting allows me to choose which size image to display.

For those complaining about 800x600 some are on mobile devices and such.... not to mention amount of data.

I read about the Audi, too bad what happened on that car

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing the full pics soon!

Back