My '93 A4LD wont shift into OD (Im sorry!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My '93 A4LD wont shift into OD (Im sorry!)

rockylaurence

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
Im sorry because its a repeat question but I need a few answers that I didnt find in my searches. First, the lack of OD shift was intermittent but is now constant. The other shifts and functions are normal and Ive been driving this way for a month now w/o issue. First, Ive checked the vacuum modulator, fluids, wiring etc. I did find that the 3-4 coil cap that has the electrical connections spins freely leading me to believe that the coil connections are broken. Is this a correct assumption? Second, Ive read that the 3-4 screen maybe and issue but this tranny was rebuilt by Ford 3 years agao and probly doesnt have the screen. Right? Third, Ford wants to rape me on parts ($220 solenoid/$110 valve body gasket set) even after putting their kids through college with two other trans replacements on this vehicle. Is there a less expensive source for these parts? Fourth, does the TRANSGO shift improver kit include the gasket kit and is it a valuble addition to the trans? Fith, after 12 years and 3 A4LDs, should I convert over to a manual trans (one that I can work on and will last longer)? Lastly, am I missing anything, am I lost w/o direction related to my assumptions? Please give me some guidance/direction.
PS reports are that Glacier and the others are the Wizards of the A4LD!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First of all... the gaskets cost about $ 8 or so for the set. The Solenoid can be had for about $40. I'll be more than happy to ship you both things for $50.

That dealership is ripping you off. Avoid them.

The lack of OD is more than likely one of about 5 (or so) things.

1. There could be some electrical problem which is causing the PCM (computer) NOT to be telling the transmission to shift into OD. It could be a bad speed sensor, or some other input. In short, under this scenario, you don't have OD because it's never being commanded (since it is a computer controlled shift). [Probably unlikely, since most of those would also affect TCC lockup as well.]

2. You could have a bad solenoid. [Possible]

3. IF there is a screen on the 3-4 shift solenoid it could be plugged up.

4. The valves and things in the VB that cause the 3-4 shift could be stuck or sticking [HIGH probability] or the gasket could have a leak [unlikely on the A4LD]. The vb could be loose. [low probability]

5. You could have a servo leak in the OD servo which does not allow suffient pressure to actuate the band. Or alternatively a broken band. You'll know if it is the band when you pull the pan.

I probably should add a number 6: an OD band so badly glazed it won't apply and hold. [unlikely or you'd be burning up the tranny IMHO]

You might want to look at the A4LD Valve Body Rebuild Diary and think about trying that... check wiring, connectors as well. When you pull he pan to do the VB you'll be able to rule out the band being broken.

Another case where the Rotunda Trans tester would be worth its weight in gold. (see PS below)

Good luck and keep us posted. If you want those gaskets and the solenoid let me know.

It's difficult to know which of these it is without more, some of which would almost have to be hands on. Given the recent rebuild I am going to guess it isn't a bad servo or broken band.

I came back to this reply, and thought mabe it would be helpful to tell you what I would do if this were sitting in my garage. First off, I'd drive it and watch the RPM's and shifts... verify your concern and try and insure I have TCC lockup. (So I know if I have 2 problems or 1. Also if you had neither TCC lockup or 3-4 that points VERY strongly to electrical problems!)

Next I'd hook up the transmission tester to the transmission and bench check the solenoids. Assuming they tested out ok, I'd do a test drive and see if the tester can command and get OD. If it can, then I know the problem is upsteam of the transmission - PCM inputs or harnesses. If the tester cannot command OD, the next step is to hook up a pressure gauge and watch the pressures in a test drive. I'm especially interested in knowing what happens when I should be getting 4th. Assuming nothing sinister shows up here, then then I know I am going to pull the pan. (low pressure would lead me to continue to suspect the OD servo - but I'll not jump into trying to replace it yet as THAT is a MAJOR PITA, and other things could cause low pressure besides just the servo.. it would just stay on the radar is all if pressure were low.)

Next I'd check that the adjusting screw for the OD band hasn't somehow backed off (I could probably do that sooner, and maybe should do that first... just crossed my mind, but this is kind of stream of thought here). Assuming that is ok, I'd get ready for the ATF bath and drop the pan. I'd check the pan for band parts and metal filings or chunks. I'd visually inspect the band location and that the actuator and anchors appear ok (a little tough but you can get a pretty good idea). Assuming so far everything is ok, I will remove the VB. Since I have already resistance checked the solenoid and click tested it, I am pretty sure it is ok electrically. I'll remove the solenoid and check for a screen. If none, I'll visually inspect the VB to see if any metal slivers have gotten lodged in it. and if not, then I will rebuild the VB. and reassemble. If the test drive does not show a fix, I'd pressure test it again and if I have a low pressure in OD, NOW the servo.

Somewhere in that maze is our likely culprit methinks.

PS. I do loan a FORD rotunda trans tester... they are a pricey gadget (about $1000 new) so I require a deposit ($300 - waived under certain circumstances), but in the end all it costs you is round trip shipping - Probably $30 to 40.

If you are replacing the gaskets, then I would recommend the thicker ones compared to the thinner ones. If you are going to replace the OD solenoid, then it would be a good idea to replace both the OD, and TCC solenoids even though only one of them was causing the problem. Both of them are the same age, and would save time, and trouble at a future date replacing. One place that I've found very reasonably priced for solenoids, and other transmission parts is WWW.Slauson.Com. They sell both solenoids as a set in one kit. Here is the link with a picture: http://www.teckpak-fitzall.com/teckfitz/products/masterkits/MS_A4LD.jpg. They also sell pistons, and other parts.

Thanks guys for the input. Here is a little more info on what Ive found so far. I know that the Tc is locking up and 3rd is engaging (both around 2K RPM 35-40MPH). The gear and TC hold until I really get on it forcing it to down shift. So, Im thinking my only problem is in the OD. Also, I dropped the pan and everything is clean with no extra parts in the pan (good thing). However, when I had the pan off and checking the connections I noticed that the plastic cover on the OD solenoid is loose and spins on the casing. This is the cap that the wires terminate to. This cap shouldnt move should it? Once I found that I couldnt remove the solenoid w/o dropping the VB, I put the pan back up added fluid and started looking for parts.
Glacier, if you think Im on the right track Ill get those parts from ya. Plus, what do you think about converting over to a manual? How would I go about purchasing those items and what-ever else I may need...
Thanks again

The next step would to investigate the existing solenoid and see if it has the right resistance and will click when 12V is applied, then to clean it out with brake cleaner then WD-40 or some lubricant. If it tests out ok, then I'd probably advise you rebuild the VB.

Ill pull the pan and check it. It may take a couple days to get to it but Ill post again when I get it done.
Thanks for your patience

Good news! I finally had a little time Saturday and hooked up my scanner. The only code I recieved was a 566 "3-4 shift solenoid circuit failure". Glacier, I'd like to install a shift improver kit when I replace the solenoid. Does the kit supply the VB gasket? I dont want to get into a Full VB rebuild being that the trany is only 3 yrs old (40K miles) but I do want improved shifts/performance. Can I get the solenoid, gaskets, Transgo from you and how would I go about payment?

The shift kits do not come with gaskets. I'd also add that if you are going to remove the VB on the A4LD I highly recommend you add the Sonnax Boost Valve upgrade. (about $30). I can get you everything you want, but it would be faster and probably cheaper to order them yourself from www.transmissionpartsusa.com. They are located in Florida as well. Let me know your preference.

this is a very informative post..my moms '94 has not locked up the TC or gone in to over drive in along long time..the info is great to know thanks.

Lack of TC lockup AND OD is almost certainly (never say ALWAYS) an electrical issue. Check the case connector....and the wiring to the case.... in the A4LD the ONLY things that connector feeds are the TC lockup solenoid and the 3/4 (OD) shift solenoid.

when my od went, the tranny man found parts of it in the valve body. $2100 later i now have a sweet trans. b4 rebuild it worked fine, just not od. good luck.

Glacier, when I recieved my 4-3 solenoid it wasnt the same as the one that was in it. The original had the longer snout with the block with the "Tit" on one end. However, the replacement solenoid is short with the bushing/screen extention. My question is: the instructions show a spool and spring that resides in the bushing. I dont have these parts to install in the bushing. Am I correct in thinking that the spool and spring arent needed in this application? Also, the Transgo kit instructed to install balls in several places in addition to what was originally in the unit but didnt provide the extra balls. Is the kit supposed to have the extra balls? Other than those two concerns, everything is going well with the VB work. Im replacing both the solenoids, installing the H/pressure boost valve and the Shift Improver.
Thanks for you assistance.

Glacier, any input on my last questions? The work is done and I still dont have OD. I "Rung Out" the wires fron the solenoid up to the connector on the drivers side fender. Im looking for prints to continue tracking the wires. Any ideas on what to check next?

More info and progress. I rung out the wires to P52,P53 to P57. The wires are good and I was able to test the OD signal with a $.10 multimeter but the meter qwit before I could check the 3-4 solenois signal. If I find that the module isnt sending the signal, what other items should I check? Ive already swapped (with ones that where good when I rebuilt my motor years ago) the Temp, Air temp, TP sensors. What else could it be?

Rocky.... I think you are safe in your assumption regarding the OD solenoid Q. There were a number of different set ups there. I'll investigate a little further. Regrettably Transgo does NOT supply check balls. I can mail ya a couple if you need them.

The A4LD OD also relies on the speed sensor.

I'd definitely investigate the 3-4 shift valve for freedom of movement. You may benefit from borrowing the Transmission tester from me.

Glacier, I accuired another meter and found that the module out put is only .18VDC. However, I do see it transition from 0 to .18 cosistently while driving showing me that it is trying to activate the solenoid. I then pulled the module and found a blown capacitor. Hmmm? So the question is, do I purchase a Salvaged ECM, drive w/o OD or is there a place in Lakeland Fl. that repairs the ECM? Time to Google..
Thanks again!!!!

Hi I have the same problem I have put in new ford soleniods and still no od the aftermarket solenoids are crap. I need to get codes monday and I have done everyting else clean vb and more electrical seems to be whats up with OD My tranny is great in all other gears and shifts nice and smoth. looked through all others and your the closes to repairing the proble good luck got to go

Back