• Register Today It's free!

My first few days

Fritzenheimer

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012Limited
Picked up my Explorer on late Friday. Didn't have time for a demo on Sync and the touch screen. Got my iPhone synced and started playing music via Bluetooth. Way cool!

Realized that this technology is the beginning of the car of the future...someday we will sit back and have a conversation with our car and it will be able to take orders. I love the screens and the colors....it is this that set this vehicle apart for me (been driving 3 generation of the Pilot these past 9 years).

The only problem is that Sync is like Windows 1.0.....it is kludgey, it's buggy, and after just a day and a half........I got the Black Screen of Death! Nothing.

Forums said to take out Fuse 29 and reseat it to reset. Are they serious at Ford? Have you ever tried to get to the fuse panel. Let's just say the engineers who put it there must not work on their cars or they don't believe it matters to the poor lot of us who drive the stuff they design.

Anyway, back to the dealer....they were open on Sunday so i drove it right over and they gave me a loaner Escape. :mad:

I could complain about Sync but I won't. I realize I'm an early adopter. I love the technology in this car. But someday the technology will make today's Sync seem just like what it is....an early step in the evolution of the interactive car...so right now I don't think it is reasonable for me to have high expectations.

I'm not hoping for or expecting much from 3.0 when it arrives. I know it will be cumbersome to use with lots of room to get better. The only thing I ask is that it is stable!! Please Ford make it stable! :roll::D Kludgey I can live with..not working at all, or regular crashes I can't..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Strangers in the night....

interactive car = distractions and expensive repairs when the warranty runs out, your corner mechanic or you will be unable to fix it, a cash cow for?... Just a thought.

You're right but I really do think this is the direction we are heading in and technology will be inseparable from our vehicles. It just may be too early in the product evolution now to dive in, but hey it can do some neat stuff.

Got a call from the dealer today. They have to replace the master control unit on the system. Don't know why it would fail like that right out of the gate. I'll have it back tomorrow.

You're right but I really do think this is the direction we are heading in and technology will be inseparable from our vehicles. It just may be too early in the product evolution now to dive in, but hey it can do some neat stuff.

Got a call from the dealer today. They have to replace the master control unit on the system. Don't know why it would fail like that right out of the gate. I'll have it back tomorrow.
Unfortunately with all the electronics on board, this should not be too much of a surprise. My experience is that if an electronic part is going to fail, in most cases it will do so early in its life. In 9 months of ownership I had the screen go blank just once on startup. Turned vehicle off and back on and all was good again.Welcome to the Forum, Fritzenheimer.:wavey:

Peter

PeterK, I see your tag "Highlander convert" and have to say...

I am having an issue with the '09 Highlander my wife was so determined to have. We've had it for 26 months and the electric motor that works the rear hatch is toast. The hatch is jammed closed (now). It was twisted and open on the right side, metal to metal on the left. The dealer say the part alone is over $1200 (not a typo) plus labor and tax. Of course it is out of warantee (mileage).

Our previous car was a '96 Explorer w/5.0. Sold it after 12 years and 212K trouble free miles, because we wanted something newer that got better mpg.

Now I'm here looking for reliability/quality info on the new platform Explorers.

PeterK, I see your tag "Highlander convert" and have to say...

I am having an issue with the '09 Highlander my wife was so determined to have. We've had it for 26 months and the electric motor that works the rear hatch is toast. The hatch is jammed closed (now). It was twisted and open on the right side, metal to metal on the left. The dealer say the part alone is over $1200 (not a typo) plus labor and tax. Of course it is out of warantee (mileage).

Our previous car was a '96 Explorer w/5.0. Sold it after 12 years and 212K trouble free miles, because we wanted something newer that got better mpg.

Now I'm here looking for reliability/quality info on the new platform Explorers.
Welcome to the Forum, 60DRB. :wavey:
I leased all 3 Highlanders I had and didn't have any problems to speak of. I still had 2 1/2 years left on the '09 lease and a friend of mine who also bought my '06 at lease end, said he would take over the '09 lease. That is how I ended up with the Explorer. I would not have been interested had they not gone to the 'unibody' platform.
I have had relatively few problems. Aside from the odd MFT hic-up, the only thing I had replaced was a front right sensor that didn't allow the Active Park Assist to work. There is one other item I will have fixed in due time and that is the Rain Sensing Wiper. Like a few others here hae experienced, every now and then it gives a wipe when there is no reason for it. It has happend a few times on a nice sunny day. Since it is rather infrequent, I will have it done later. There is a TSB on the problem.
Sorry to hear about your problem with the rear hatch motor. I always took out the extended warranty as insurance, more so for peace of mind. Only used it once. I would have saved $ by not taking the warranty but you never know. I made up my mind that I was going to definately take out the extended warranty on the Explorer given all the new electronics on it.
Some owners have had very few, if any problems while others have not been as fortunate.
Just browse through the various threads to see if this is a vehicle you may want. I leased mine in March and I don't regret it one bit and still like it better every day that I drive it. I'll see what is available in 3 years time but am leaning towards buying it out at lease end.

Peter

Back