• Register Today It's free!

My New Ride (97) & SOHC Question

gabelossus

Reaction score
City, State
Haddonfield
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4.0L SOHC V6
Just picked up a 97 Explorer XLT and she is a beaut! Just over 200k on the clock, and not too much rust (the standards are not high here in Jersey, was looking for something with only surface rust underneath, no gristly crumbly peanut brittle, and this fit the bill). This will mark the 4th one in my family. I sold my 99 XLT two years ago, and now that I'm driving this thing with ease, like what the heck was the problem with the other one? It had the same 4.0 SOHC but just idled horribly and had no acceleration. I replaced all the plugs and wires (old were likely original because they were seized to the threads in the cylinder head), fixed all EVAP leaks that I knew of, tried some Seafoam, but nothing seemed to mitigate its frequent misfires and rough idle. I mean, the idle was so shaky the entire exhaust would rattle, and LOUD.

Could this have been the dreaded SOHC "death rattle" I hear about? I find it unlikely because the 99 only had 150k when I sold it. I know I don't own the car anymore but it's gonna drive me nuts; I put so much work into that rustbucket and never reaped the rewards haha. Regardless, the 97 drives flawlessly with a perfect idle. I don't understand! Timing chain casettes must have been changed once or twice. It even rides better which is throwing me through a loop because I put new shackles, rear leaf bushings, and a whole new front end (minus lower CA bushings) on the 99 and it still rode like ****. This is my 2nd second gen I have personally owned, so I don't have much to base my findings off. Actually, my buddy's 01 Limited rode pretty darn well too....
IMG_4057.PNG
IMG_4091.JPG
IMG_4059.PNG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You got a good one!
The recalls were likely done at a good dealership since it is a 97 (the sohc was recalled 97 and 98 for updated tensioners and cassettes) once that was performed by a competent mechanic the engine is good to go

The difference in the two trucks is likely maintenance
With the sohc engine you simply need to change your oil more often and keep it synthetic and clean
Keeping the transmission cool is the other thing that leads to longevity. Changing the fluid and filter on the regular, these trucks are tanks

Just picked up a 97 Explorer XLT and she is a beaut! Just over 200k on the clock, and not too much rust (the standards are not high here in Jersey, was looking for something with only surface rust underneath, no gristly crumbly peanut brittle, and this fit the bill). This will mark the 4th one in my family. I sold my 99 XLT two years ago, and now that I'm driving this thing with ease, like what the heck was the problem with the other one? It had the same 4.0 SOHC but just idled horribly and had no acceleration. I replaced all the plugs and wires (old were likely original because they were seized to the threads in the cylinder head), fixed all EVAP leaks that I knew of, tried some Seafoam, but nothing seemed to mitigate its frequent misfires and rough idle. I mean, the idle was so shaky the entire exhaust would rattle, and LOUD.

Could this have been the dreaded SOHC "death rattle" I hear about? I find it unlikely because the 99 only had 150k when I sold it. I know I don't own the car anymore but it's gonna drive me nuts; I put so much work into that rustbucket and never reaped the rewards haha. Regardless, the 97 drives flawlessly with a perfect idle. I don't understand! Timing chain casettes must have been changed once or twice. It even rides better which is throwing me through a loop because I put new shackles, rear leaf bushings, and a whole new front end (minus lower CA bushings) on the 99 and it still rode like ****. This is my 2nd second gen I have personally owned, so I don't have much to base my findings off. Actually, my buddy's 01 Limited rode pretty darn well too....View attachment 450628View attachment 450629View attachment 450630
different torsion bars are available and used based on equipment. potentially the timing could have jumped a tooth, but i think that usually leads to a no start. did the engine sound like clinging keys or marbles in a can?

Now that truck is a beauty indeed! As 410Fortune said, it's all in the maintenance. No repair can be substituted for proper maintenance. These trucks were well-designed and built to last. Just keep the oil changed! And never flush the transmissions!

The SOHC death rattle comes from the rear passenger side of the engine compartment. I've heard it, it's plenty loud enough that you won't miss it. It's a very definite metallic rattle, like what Fix4Dirt described. If you've heard a poorly-guided bicycle chain, you know the sound - one chain sounds pretty much like an other.

Ride, depends on how you define "good". Any changes and/or wear are going to be a trade-off between control and smoothness.

What you had was not death rattle, probably either the exhaust heat shields loose or some hangers broken so exhaust was moving more than it was supposed to. Solution was figure out why it is misfiring. "Fixed all evap leaks I know of"... okay but what did a scan tool show? Was it running lean, with a high fuel trim? Maybe the rough idle was just the IAC valve sticking or worn out, or a pulley or A/C seizing up, or dirty injectors... a lot can go wrong after that many miles and years. Can't really go back in time, enjoy your *new* Explorer!

You got a good one!
The recalls were likely done at a good dealership since it is a 97 (the sohc was recalled 97 and 98 for updated tensioners and cassettes) once that was performed by a competent mechanic the engine is good to go

With the sohc engine you simply need to change your oil more often and keep it synthetic and clean
Keeping the transmission cool is the other thing that leads to longevity. Changing the fluid and filter on the regular, these trucks are tanks
^^^word!!!! +1 for good oil and cool trans- kept this one going as of today when i drove it it said 329,958... original engine & trans! just fluid and filter changes internally (and primary timing guide at 310 but thats it)

You got a good one!

Now that's interesting, never knew about those SOHC recalls. How would one find out if a particular Ex actually got those recall fixes?

Now that's interesting, never knew about those SOHC recalls. How would one find out if a particular Ex actually got those recall fixes?
if its a recall NHTSA will tell you if there are any open recalls and car fax will tell you if youve had recalls done in their maintainence app thing its free. that being said this one was never recalled for those (have a whole book of sheets inc the firestone recall etc etc) and no mention of cassettes... that being said they lasted til 310k so not a bad life! still running OE rear and jackshaft tensioners and guides

I don't think this was a recall, just a lot of people who like to use the word "recall" for anything as if it is interchangeable with a TSB when it's not.

You won't necessarily be notified about a TSB. If the vehicle exhibits the issues mentioned in the TSB, then it tells the shop what to do. It is not like everyone just brings their vehicle in and gets free work or parts without having the issue. If vehicle is out of warranty, in some cases Ford will extend warranty on specific things and then may do a TSB on their dime.

@joney What J_C said - these may have been errantly called recalls. I'm aware of a cruise control TSB and a timing chain TSB on the 2nd-gens, but was not aware of any recalls on 2nd-gen Explorers.

I simply called my local Ford dealership and just asked them if they knew if any TSB's had been served on these particular VIN's. I gave them the VIN's, they gave me the list of TSB's served for each. (Fortunately for me, I found out that all the TSB's had been served on both of my trucks. Score!)

@gabelossus You might want to make such a call yourself, not that it necessarily matters, but just to see if the TSB's were already served or not. You know, for science.

Back