my reverse is goofy,98 limited 5.0 awd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my reverse is goofy,98 limited 5.0 awd

chainsawjay

Reaction score
City, State
manton michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 limited 5.0
ok long story short. i broke a hose out of the tranny cooler and pumped about 5 quarts of fluid . I fixed the line and bought some new fluid. i live in a tiny town with one parts store and all they had was KENDALL VERSATRANS fluid which i was very hesitant on buying but the bottle said approved for service fill in fords needing merk V . put it in and everything was good for about 60 miles now my reverse is slipping sometimes. usually when the fluid is cold once its warm it has very strong reverse. also one slight slip going into fourth, maybe third not sure, but only once after i first start it. fluid level is good. its confusing i do have a clogged cat converter im sure that dont help. to check codes for the tranny do you plug into the obd port under the dash? ive had her for about a year and havent done a trans service, thats probly where ill start. cheapest first. any info is greatly appreciated. thanks.

LONG LIVE THE EXPLORER!:thumbsup:

so you ran the vehicle with a broken line? Sounds like you may have messed up the shift module.

yeah bout 3 blocks i did, pretty foolish i know. It was like ten below zero, i started it and took right off. i dont think heat could be an issue it didnt run long enough to warm anything up. BUT i did run it between 4 or 5 quarts low, defenitely not good. it was fine though the next 3 or 4 times i ran it. By the way its not my everyday driver kinda just something to tool two tracks n take camping n what not. Seldom does it get hammered on. i know its about the best running "truck" ive ever owned, if i gotta rebuild a trans so be it. Oh by the way, watched the throttle cable mod video. that stuff really works just did it and noticed immediate response and power. pretty cool ,thanks bud.:thumbsup:

Back