Mystery voltage at fuel pump and relay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mystery voltage at fuel pump and relay

ga11sport

Reaction score
City, State
Coon Rapids, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96
Okay, I have a ‘96 4.0L Explorer that will not start. I have narrowed it down to the fuel pump but would like to verify my findings and also ask about a mystery voltage I found.

With no pressure what so ever at the fuel rail, I jumped the fuel pump relay and there was no sound at the pump. I checked voltage behind the inertia switch and had 12v with the relay jumped. Finally I ran 12v directly to the pnk/blk wire at the fuel pump connector and the black wire had good ground also and still no pump noise. Am I right in assuming the pump is bad? The only reason I question this is because the connector had like 10 wires so I did not know if there was some other system preventing the pump from running.

Where the mystery voltage comes in is when the key is in the ON position, I have 6v at the pump, inertia switch, and the relay. I even pulled the relay and still had 6v at each junction. I see in the wiring diagram that this wire also runs to the PCM but why is the computer providing 6v? Even with the relay in place and key on, it is always 6 volts and I never once saw 12 unless I jumped the relay instead of turning the key on. I also checked another explorer and this one did not have that mystery 6v, only 12v when the key was on. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Double check your grounds, if that doesnt work id say replace the pump.

Back