Nav - Traffic Lines | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nav - Traffic Lines

Adam14

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limitied
I don't really guess this is a problem, per se. But I just can't figure this out. I've had my 2011 Explorer since 2010 and it is equipped with MFT/Nav, etc. Obviously, my trial subscriptions have expired and I did not choose to renew any of them. Actually, I did renew the Sirius a couple of years ago but I have not had it in a very long time. So with that said, it's no mystery why the nifty traffic indicator lines went away from my nav screen...seems like a no-brainer to me based on what I understand to be the sources for the traffic info.

Well last week, I noticed one day on my way home that the nav was showing traffic lines. They did look different than I remember (I had them before all the map updates, etc) but there is no question that they were traffic indicator lines (green, yellow, red). I have not renewed any subscriptions so I really don't understand why they appeared. They didn't stay there as they're gone now. The only thing that was different was that I just got a new cell phone (HTC One) and it was connected via bluetooth. I can't remember if it was plugged in to the USB or not. But from googling this, unless I'm mistaken the cell phone has nothing to do with the traffic lines on the map, correct?

I've just chalked it up to another MFT bug. It isn't a big deal at all and I know it could be much worse but I'm sure it pisses people off who are actually paying subscribers to Sirius or whatever yet still can't get the traffic lines they're paying for.

I don't expect them to show back up without subscribing or anything like that...so I'm not looking to get something for free. I'm just really curious about what may have caused this. It doesn't help that I'm a research-junkie and I drive myself crazy when I can't figure stuff out, even dumb stuff like this.

Anyone else ever seen or heard of this?

*Forgot to mention on my original posting....I have whatever version of MFT that was before the newest one. I've downloaded the new one and I plan on installing it today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Periodically, Sirius will turn on a free preview, including Travel Link, not unlike cable/satellite giving you a free weekend of HBO/Cinemax.

Example:

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9255

I subscribe to it on 2 vehicles. It was free for 4 years when I bought the 2013 Touareg. We have a beach house we travel to every other weekend, and having it has saved us HOURS of time sitting in traffic (I-95, I-64, HRBT, etc.) when a better alternative is available. Well worth the cost.

I don't really guess this is a problem, per se. But I just can't figure this out. I've had my 2011 Explorer since 2010 and it is equipped with MFT/Nav, etc. Obviously, my trial subscriptions have expired and I did not choose to renew any of them. Actually, I did renew the Sirius a couple of years ago but I have not had it in a very long time. So with that said, it's no mystery why the nifty traffic indicator lines went away from my nav screen...seems like a no-brainer to me based on what I understand to be the sources for the traffic info.

Well last week, I noticed one day on my way home that the nav was showing traffic lines. They did look different than I remember (I had them before all the map updates, etc) but there is no question that they were traffic indicator lines (green, yellow, red). I have not renewed any subscriptions so I really don't understand why they appeared. They didn't stay there as they're gone now. The only thing that was different was that I just got a new cell phone (HTC One) and it was connected via bluetooth. I can't remember if it was plugged in to the USB or not. But from googling this, unless I'm mistaken the cell phone has nothing to do with the traffic lines on the map, correct?

I've just chalked it up to another MFT bug. It isn't a big deal at all and I know it could be much worse but I'm sure it pisses people off who are actually paying subscribers to Sirius or whatever yet still can't get the traffic lines they're paying for.

I don't expect them to show back up without subscribing or anything like that...so I'm not looking to get something for free. I'm just really curious about what may have caused this. It doesn't help that I'm a research-junkie and I drive myself crazy when I can't figure stuff out, even dumb stuff like this.

Anyone else ever seen or heard of this?

*Forgot to mention on my original posting....I have whatever version of MFT that was before the newest one. I've downloaded the new one and I plan on installing it today.
Sirius had/has a free preview on. It was mentioned in another thread. I though it was to end on the 11th but it looks like it is still active.

Peter

I subscribe to Travel Link, and I get the lines, but what I also get are icons that indicate traffic, construction, accidents, and other alerts. I can drill down on them to get some more detail, but not a lot. I was playing with it today and it seemed to work fine - it agreed with the fact that I was sitting in bad traffic :D

I need to find and learn how to use reroute capability (assuming it exists); that could have actually saved me some hassle.

I actually like the Weather feature more; it's nice to be able to check forecasts and see what you are driving into without having to look down at a phone. Sports scores are a neat novelty, but I suspect that will get old in time.

Not completely sure it's worth it, but at the moment I'm not paying much for it so what the heck :)

I subscribe to Travel Link, and I get the lines, but what I also get are icons that indicate traffic, construction, accidents, and other alerts. I can drill down on them to get some more detail, but not a lot. I was playing with it today and it seemed to work fine - it agreed with the fact that I was sitting in bad traffic :D

I need to find and learn how to use reroute capability (assuming it exists); that could have actually saved me some hassle.

I actually like the Weather feature more; it's nice to be able to check forecasts and see what you are driving into without having to look down at a phone. Sports scores are a neat novelty, but I suspect that will get old in time.

Not completely sure it's worth it, but at the moment I'm not paying much for it so what the heck :)

Sirius Promotional trying to get you to renew your subscription. Happens every so often. Happens for our 11 Mustang also.

Back