Navigation dvd install failure. Failed installation recovery. Stuck! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Navigation dvd install failure. Failed installation recovery. Stuck!

Sparrow

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas city, mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Limited 4.6
I bought a used 2007 explorer limited with stock nav in dash a few days ago. The radio was working, but nav said to insert a DVD. When i got home, I dug in the glove box and found an 8p dvd and put it in. It read the disc for a second, then said it was an invalid dvd. I tried a few times with the same result. SO I also found a 3p dvd in the glove box and put that in. I got a warning about installing an older map version and skipped past it. I waited 15 minutes and the install never completed. Maybe I should have waited longer, but I had to leave and shut the car off. Now the unit is stuck saying installation failed and to either insert a navigation dvd, or that the dvd may be invalid. Sometimes it pops up "failed installation recovery" and that it will resume now, but it gives up after a couple minutes. I can't use any other functions on the unit! I've tried turning car off and on, pulling fuse, swapping dvds out, etc and no love.

I took it to the dealer and they checked it out and said I need to buy a new recent nav dvd. I don't want to spend $200 on a new dvd and have the same thing happen and be out all that money. I feel like if it was just needing new maps, it wouldn't lock up the entire unit??? Makes no sense. I just want to listen to the radio!

* Any one seen this before? know what the cause is and or how to fix?
* Will buying the 10p or 11p disc actually fix the problem?
* Will burned nav dvds work the same as purchased ones?

Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Post this over in the audio/navigation section and you should get a lot of helpful responses.

I bought a used 2007 explorer limited with stock nav in dash a few days ago. The radio was working, but nav said to insert a DVD. When i got home, I dug in the glove box and found an 8p dvd and put it in. It read the disc for a second, then said it was an invalid dvd. I tried a few times with the same result. SO I also found a 3p dvd in the glove box and put that in. I got a warning about installing an older map version and skipped past it. I waited 15 minutes and the install never completed. Maybe I should have waited longer, but I had to leave and shut the car off. Now the unit is stuck saying installation failed and to either insert a navigation dvd, or that the dvd may be invalid. Sometimes it pops up "failed installation recovery" and that it will resume now, but it gives up after a couple minutes. I can't use any other functions on the unit! I've tried turning car off and on, pulling fuse, swapping dvds out, etc and no love.

I took it to the dealer and they checked it out and said I need to buy a new recent nav dvd. I don't want to spend $200 on a new dvd and have the same thing happen and be out all that money. I feel like if it was just needing new maps, it wouldn't lock up the entire unit??? Makes no sense. I just want to listen to the radio!

* Any one seen this before? know what the cause is and or how to fix?
* Will buying the 10p or 11p disc actually fix the problem?
* Will burned nav dvds work the same as purchased ones?

Thanks!!!

Hi, Sparrow!

When you say that you've swapped DVDs, did you try another one of our NAV DVDs? This error comes up when the system is unable to reproduce the information on the DVD and a new one is needed. Usually when this happens, the DVD is damaged somehow. A burned DVD will not work with the system.

Rebecca

Hi, Sparrow!

A burned DVD will not work with the system.

Rebecca

Actually it will. If it's ethical or legal is an entirely different story (depending on where the image came from) but it will definitely read a burned DL DVD.

Thanks for the responses here! I posted in the audio forum around the same time and it got ignored. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373066

The car came with 3P and 8P in the glove box. I got 11P brand new from navigation.com (navteq) for $200 a few days ago and it does the same exact thing. It says "checking disk" for a few seconds, then says install failure. Any suggested next steps? Even if there's a way to just get back to the radio/CD mode and never use the nav ever again I'd be OK with that. Google maps on my phone is plenty. It's just frustrating for the unit to be completely useless. Thanks!!!!!!!

Try sending a PM (private message) to the FordIVTteam and see what they have to say now. You could also try the 800 number that they list in the footer of the message too.

Thanks for the responses here! I posted in the audio forum around the same time and it got ignored. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373066

The car came with 3P and 8P in the glove box. I got 11P brand new from navigation.com (navteq) for $200 a few days ago and it does the same exact thing. It says "checking disk" for a few seconds, then says install failure. Any suggested next steps? Even if there's a way to just get back to the radio/CD mode and never use the nav ever again I'd be OK with that. Google maps on my phone is plenty. It's just frustrating for the unit to be completely useless. Thanks!!!!!!!

If you're still getting the error, your dealer will need to look at the navigation unit to determine what the issue is. Generally, that error is produced by a scratched CD or DVD. Keep us posted!

Rebecca

I took the car back to the dealer. I bought it used from Dodge but they said one of their techs used to work for Ford. They said he had to put in a code to unlock it and now it's out of the stuck mode. Not sure if they use some kind of external interface to enter a code with? Because it was stuck on that one install failure screen! There was no obvious way to enter a code from the main screen.

So good news is I can use the radio and CD player again! Bad news is the nav still says "invalid DVD inserted" even though I have the pristine brand new out of the case 11P in there. They told me that it was completely fixed, but obviously its not. I'm afraid to mess with the nav at all now in fear it will lock me out again. Best it's gonna get I guess?

update?

Did you ever end up getting the version 11 DVD to install on the 2007 factory nav?

The dealer was able to get the partial installation cleared and the unit factory reset. But the DVD drive is defective so I can't load nav or use the nav at all for that matter. They reset it so quick but wouldn't tell me how. I wish the steps were publicly available. But oh well at least I can use the rest of the features now. The complete lockup was torture.

You should be able to get a good buck for that disk on Ebay. Use the money to help buy a new replacement.

I thought I'd seen a place that repairs these Pioneer units, but can't find it now. Not sure you'd want to bother anyway.

Hi. I know this is an old thread. I wanted to offer Real solution to problem above.

The error message above is caused by a Bad DVD drive.

2 solutions.

Download the manual and service bulletin for your Pioneer AVIC navigation from manualsparadise. You put your radio model number. The problem is listed in a TSB bulletin caused by bad clamp on DVD drive. Solution is a 1 cent drop of grease on DVD clamp but you have to take radio apart. Very easy.

Second solution. Find a similar radio on EBay and swap out the DVD mechanism. If radio has same plugs on back and same size and general shape then DVD mechanism will be Same 100%. I did it and it worked to remove above Installation error stuck screen.

There is no other solution....everything else posted is not a solution and will NOT work. Hope it helps someone else same problem above.

Hi. I know this is an old thread. I wanted to offer Real solution to problem above.

The error message above is caused by a Bad DVD drive.

2 solutions.

Download the manual and service bulletin for your Pioneer AVIC navigation from manualsparadise. You put your radio model number. The problem is listed in a TSB bulletin caused by bad clamp on DVD drive. Solution is a 1 cent drop of grease on DVD clamp but you have to take radio apart. Very easy.

Second solution. Find a similar radio on EBay and swap out the DVD mechanism. If radio has same plugs on back and same size and general shape then DVD mechanism will be Same 100%. I did it and it worked to remove above Installation error stuck screen.

There is no other solution....everything else posted is not a solution and will NOT work. Hope it helps someone else same problem above.

I swapped the DVD mechanism but the screen is blank. It went blank right after the load error message with the old DVD unit in there. I can here the DVD unit trying to load and it actually took the DVD. But still have blank screen. Any ideas?

Check the ribbon cables if they are locked in the connectors.

I agree that ribbon cable is either unlocked or maybe damaged. You can try to connect the bad dvd mechanism again and see if screen is blank. I accidentally cut these ribbon cables first time and had to buy it. I remember 2 cables had to be accessed and one screen cable. Good luck.

Back