need a schematic for the body panel assembly of the front end? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need a schematic for the body panel assembly of the front end?

Hi all I have started working on basically replacing the front clip of my 03 explorer, and was wondering if anyone had an exploded view of the front end from firewall to radiator support of the way the different panels connect together.
i have removed the radiator support, and am working on the inner aprons and fender supports now. I have a donor vehicle to remove all parts from, and am using my damaged one for testing how to remove all the components without making too many mistakes.

ANY help would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance, DaaQ

PS, i will try and do a write up on this because it is a large project. Also haven't seen one before. This will be time consuming so bear with me. Thanks again all.

So you are attempting to replace the welded structural components on the front of your explorer?
Are you good at MIG welding ?

So you are attempting to replace the welded structural components on the front of your explorer?
Are you good at MIG welding ?

Yes, in a not so general statement way.
Passenger side is good all the way up to the radiator support.
The driver's side has some buckling just behind the wheel well.
The firewall does not have any damage to it.

IF I was able to remove panel by panel. I would prefer to go that road. Than to cut out a section and re weld it into place. Although the latter is probably easier.

The outside piece of the fender support appears to weld in past where the front door bolts on to the truck.

Knowing how to make a correct quality weld is crucial in maintaining the safety and structural integrity of the vehicle. Enough heat for adequate penetration, but low enough heat to minimize the heat affected zone.

If memory serves me the 03 Explorer apron is all one piece, but I could be wrong. If there is severe buckling it would need to be replaced as opposed to repair to maintain structural integrity. Sectioning it generally is a bad idea and probably not recommended in the Ford repair manual.

Back