• Register Today It's free!

Need advice about selling

PurpleExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan/Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited Eddie Bauer
Hello, I joined this forum to get all your opinions, so please weigh in! I've owned this '94 Limited Edition Eddie Bauer 4x4 for 10 years now. I have taken great care of it - everything works, there is minimal interior wear and tear and just a little bit of exterior damage (some dents/scratches, and a little rust in wheel wells and on bumpers) It has 106,500 miles.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Clark.Jansen/FordExplorer1994LE#

I recently moved to Chicago, where I don't use it or have a garage for it. I'm trying to decide whether to sell it or keep it. Keeping it would mean renting a garage in addition to general upkeep expenses. I really love the car, but I'm struggling to decide if it's worth keeping. My questions:

Is this vehicle worth holding on to (how would you decide)?

How much money could I get for it, assuming I find a private buyer (not a dealership)?

What is the best method for selling? (park it near busy intersection with for sale sign, local newspaper, craigslist, vehix.com, etc)?

Thanks for your opinions :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't use it anymore, meaning you have another vehicle you use instead, then you should probably sell it. The hassle and expense of storing, insuring, and upkeep on a vehicle that isn't driven much, etc. etc. will eventually exceed what it's worth in short order. However, if you're using public transportation or getting around some other way, and the Explorer is your only vehicle but just isn't used as much anymore, you might consider keeping it and looking at all your storage/parking options. The Explorer is quite the ideal vehicle for conditions up North.

I would hold onto it if it's your only vehicle, even if you don't plan on driving much.

I would sell it in a heartbeat if you have something else you drive now.

The ONLY way I'd keep TWO vehicles would be if I had the time and money (and storage space, i.e. garage) to keep up both, and I couldn't bear the thought of getting rid of either, which is exactly the situation I'm in. Two is nice when you have one you're working on, but otherwise it's a lot of time, expense, and hassle. ONE vehicle makes life a LOT easier.

If you're going to sell it, I'd suggest doing everything you can. Put ads and photos on craigslist, ebay, the paper, put up flyers, and be sure you get some "for sale" signs on the vehicle, too. I'm not too sure parking it on a street corner somewhere is a good idea, though. Not a lot of places allow parked vehicles to stick around with "for sale" signs and you'd risk getting a ticket, having it towed, or worse. You might consider using it to drive around in with the signs, or park in on the street where you live, you never know who's looking to buy an Explorer.

Although the economy sucks right now, and not as many people are buying SUVs, people in places like Chicago where it snows like crazy have a need for a snow-going SUV. If you do some checking, find out the blue book and average selling prices for similar vehicles, then price yours accordingly, you should be able to sell it off pretty quickly.

I have 4 rides right now and just sold 1 a couple months ago...Anime speaks the truth, it is rough to keep several up not counting the insurance on them all... I sold my Toyota and it was HARD.. It had been good to me.. I posted it on Craigslist and it was sold 24 hours later. I never expected it to sell that fast.

Worst time to sell a 4x4 SUV in Chicago = Summer
Best time to sell a 4x4 SUV in Chicago = 5 days before a "oh s***" snowstorm forecast

Keep it until fall if you can and sell it then... But, I think you can sell that on Craigslist or even on here- that Ex shows very well... Might try now- what have you got to lose?

I don't like street corners either- too much goes wrong. Funny story:

I was selling one of my SHO's about 5 years ago- it was here in Grand Rapids on 54th just east of Clay Ave by the train tracks for those of you familiar... Anyway, I pull up to grab my folder for work out of it, and there are 2 guys by the drivers door messing with the keypad. Here was the conversation:

<Guys punching numbers, randomly pulling the handle>

Me: (looking around like a lookout) "You guys having any luck?"
Guy: "No, but we'll get in, I want that stereo in there..."
Me: "Alright, you have dibs, but I want what might be in the trunk, I'll watch out."
Guy: "Aight"

<guy keeps trying for about 30 seconds>

Me: "Hey, I have an idea how we can get in..."
Guy: "Sweet- how?"
Me: (whips out keys) "I can use this key fob"
Guy: "How do you..."
Me: "Get the f**k away from my car or I 2-way the Wyoming PD."
Guy: "That's ####ed up, man..."
Me: "You're right, do you still want the stereo?"

<guys scatter>

I saw them about 15 minutes later sitting outside a Big Lots, and honked the horn and waved as I went by. I got flipped off. :D

Ah, I see you've got the limited edition one. The front end of my explorer is made up of a limited edition. I swear, that telephone pole moved in front of me on purpose. I was actually heading home and there was a lot of snow. I was going a little fast for snow covered roads and slid sideways into the pole. Drove away though.

I head you man, I am getting an '05 Jeep in less than a year from my parents and I really don't want to get rid of the Explorer. I have only had it for a year, but I love it!

I agree with Joe, sell it in fall. I am moving up to hazelton PA for college in August and it is all mountains with a lot of snow fall. I need to get new locking hubs so I can be ready. Make that puppy shine when you are going to sell it. The bright blue explorer sitting in a drive way with $3,500 written on the side caught my attention on my way home from work and I bought it that day.

Back