• Register Today It's free!

need advise please

awarner

Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 FORD EXPLORER XLT
hello guy need advise i have a 2005 ex with 4.6 the alt is old and i am looking to change to a 200 amp alt i have been told by the company that is building the alt that i don't need to change any of the cables on my truck please advise i want the higher alt but i don't want electrical problems later on down the road if i don't change any of the cables out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i went with a HO alternator from powerbastards.com. their recommendation was to upsize the wire going from the alternator to the power dist. or fuse box. if you replace the wiring though make sure that you reconnect the orange and brown wires that are on the OEM alternator wire or your alt will not charge your battery. an inline fuse is also recommended.. i have a thread up here i believe. ill link it once i find it.

need advisse

thank you for the link and i am still working to fig this out i have been told by ford that if i go with ho alt then there a chance that i will blow the pcm because it wont like the out put were if i stay at 130 amp with 12.5 to 13.0 output did you have a problem with the pcm thank you

hello guy need advise i have a 2005 ex with 4.6 the alt is old and i am looking to change to a 200 amp alt i have been told by the company that is building the alt that i don't need to change any of the cables on my truck please advise i want the higher alt but i don't want electrical problems later on down the road if i don't change any of the cables out

Are you installing a fridge, electric stove, and an electric clothes dryer? If not, you don't need 200 amps. Houses today are built with 150-200 amp service; just consider the load difference.

Are you installing a fridge, electric stove, and an electric clothes dryer? If not, you don't need 200 amps. Houses today are built with 150-200 amp service; just consider the load difference.

You don't need to change your cables because you're never going to draw 200 amps. (Unless you install the above appliances)

Want to hear something funny. V=IR, that means if your voltage stays the same, and your load stays the same, your current draw will stay the same. In a 12 volt system your 12 volts isn't going to change. So that means, unless you increase your load, the system isn't going to draw anymore current there for no need for a bigger alternator or cables. So what was your reasoning for building such a beast of an alternator?

200 amps AC and 200 amps DC are not the same. most of the appliances you just listed are supplied by 220 volts. your electric stove for example draws about 40 amps, now 220 volts at 40 amps is about an 8.8KW or 8,800 watt power draw

to get the same 8,800 watts from a 12 volt supply your amperage would need to be at least 734 amps.

just some food for thought bombx

and tech, the need for a bigger alternator in my case is all the added accesories, onboard air, power inverters, aux lighting etc..

200 amps AC and 200 amps DC are not the same. most of the appliances you just listed are supplied by 220 volts. your electric stove for example draws about 40 amps, now 220 volts at 40 amps is about an 8.8KW or 8,800 watt power draw

to get the same 8,800 watts from a 12 volt supply your amperage would need to be at least 734 amps.

just some food for thought bombx

and tech, the need for a bigger alternator in my case is all the added accesories, onboard air, power inverters, aux lighting etc..

The point being that if you aren't increasing the electrical load, you don't need to increase the supply.

Think about running a separate fuse block? Then you shouldn't need to mess with the factory wiring. The computer wont draw anymore current than it needs. Unless your new alternator is super noisy it should be fine.

i am installing 130 amp round 8in lights on the front grill i am also installing a 52 inch led on the roof all for off road use i also have 8in round led 75wts on the rear with led light all around

Attachments

• 20150918_172408.jpg
    20150918_172408.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 121

Back