Need Help identifying part

gfisher

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 V8 AWD
Hi All,

I am a long time lurker, 1st time poster. Appreciate all the info you guys post. I apologize beforhand if this info is already posted. I just have no idea what this part is called.

I have a 98 Explorer AWD. that is making a loud noise when driving. I jacked the car up, and noticed a piece broken off and the back of the transmission that also attaches to a pinion.

I am not sure this is something I can fix, however I would at least like to be informed before I head into a mechanics shop.

I have pictures, I am just not sure how to post them. With all the knowlege here, I am hoping someone can help me.

Thank you, in Advance

Gerald

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To post pictures you should get a free account at photobucket.com Once you have the pics uploaded to the site you need to get the "IMG code" and paste it in your post.

Thanks for the photobucket tip.

I am going to try and and add the pics. I hope this works.

th_car-1.jpg

th_car-2.jpg

th_car-3.jpg

th_car-4.jpg

You said on the back of the trans, but it looks like the CV head on the front prop shaft, no?

You said on the back of the trans, but it looks like the CV head on the front prop shaft, no?

That sucker is FUBAR. There should be a rubber boot in the 3rd pic and there is not.

Time for a new front drive/prop shaft.

Yeah, it is..you can see the leakage on the tube but the boot is just in front of that gold piece there. It's probably in there but it's ripped which caused the bearings to dry out and heat up. I've got the shafts on sale right now. Even if you don't buy from me I can not express enough NOT to buy a cardone reman shaft.

Even if you don't buy from me I can not express enough NOT to buy a cardone reman shaft.

Cardone= Run like hell.

One other question. How hard is the replacement for me to do myself? Are there any special tools needed? I have searched the site, however there are no definate directions on the removal/installation. And I cant seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks

Back