Need help! Keep popping dr side cv axle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help! Keep popping dr side cv axle

trailtrekker3

Reaction score
City, State
Greenwood Lake NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello everyone any help or response is greatly appreciated this problem has been a three week nightmare for me. I have a 99 Explorer Eddie Bauer 8 cyl awd auto has 3.73 gears. I went to the shop and had two tires put on that were 265/75/R16 and the truck calls for 245/75/R16. On the way home the front end started slopping around, I got home and the cv axle was slightly out on the driver side and leaking. I got a new seal and new cv axle for the driver side, put both in and while driving at about 50 m.p.h all of a sudden the driver side cv axle slammed out. Destroyed my front differential. Everything went in properly and was nice and tight. And I seated the cv axle in properly, I use a 5lb mallet with a wooden block, the circlip snapped in and seated right. I got another differential same gear ratio of course put that one in, put it all back together and after about thirty miles of slow driving at 30 m.p.h the driver side is creeping out again and leaking oil. Is this because I have two different size tires on an awd? The larger are on the rear and while driving the front tires feel as if their fighting each other and when I hit a bump the tires chirp and also chirp while turning. I've had the entire front end apart three times I have a new cv axle for the driver side and seal waiting to go in tomorrow. But I've learned my lesson and I'm asking for help this time instead of putting the cv axle in without doing anything else and having the same thing happen again,because there must be another problem. I need my truck fixed by the weekend, ready for Monday, my job depends on it. Anyone have any idea as to what would be a total solution to the problem? I know I probably need a wheel alignment, I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and bring it to the shop? I'm on a budget as is everyone else and trying to stay away from a mechanic so any help anyone can give me would be appreciated, thanks a million.

Wow no replies- I figured it out myself. A valuable lesson. Never run two different size tires on an AWD.

Back