Need help removing grille on a 2007 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help removing grille on a 2007 XLT

jbsport01

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
Help! My 2007 XLT took a chunk of ice to the front grille today. It broke out a few of the slats running across the grille. I found a new OEM grille online, but I am not sure how easy it is to replace it. Has anyone taken out the grille? Does anyone have access to All Data to show be how to remove and replace? Any help would be much appreciated!
Best regards!
John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grilles are fairly easy to remove and install... Usually held in place by a few plastic screws. Once you get the new one, you have no choice but to follow the instructions on how to install - :) It shouldn't be too tricky... How many pieces are there to the new grille you're buying? You have a link to it?

Actually, it's a *****. You have to remove the whole front air dam.

Remove the headlamp assemblies.

Disconnect the fog lamp electrical connectors, if equipped.

Disconnect the side turn signal lamp electrical connectors, if equipped.

Remove the front fender inner splash shield screws.

Remove the front fender inner splash shield pin-type retainers.

Remove the front fender inner splash shields.

Remove the 2 bolts from the bottom of the bumper cover.

Remove the 6 grille opening-to-grille opening panel scrivets.
NOTE: The fender clips are removed with the front fender. Use a flat-blade screwdriver to release the locking tabs from the front bumper cover.

Release the bumper cover-to-fender clips.

Remove cover

NO YOU AINT DONE YET;)

Remove the 2 grille-to-bumper cover screws.

Remove the front bumper isolator and absorber.
Remove the 2 pushpins.
Remove the 2 nuts.

Remove the 4 scrivets.

Carefully release the 14 clips and remove the grille assembly from the bumper cover.

Ahhh. I remember it well...

P1020049%20(Small).gif

Wow! Thanks for the info. Looks like a lot of steps, but not that hard to figure out. How long did it take you to do this job?

About 20 minutes the first time. I've gotten to where it's less than 5.

Grille removal

I wanted to add 2 LED emergency lights in my grille - one on each side of the Ford emblem - but this looks like an all day project. The lights fit snugly between the slats but need to be mounted to something to prevent them from moving or falling out.

Is there room to access the back of the grille from the top or bottom so I can mount a bracket?

You got ice already???? Damn its been 90 here all week.

I just did this today on my 2006 lmtd. Below is a link that gets almost everything covered in a way that is soooo much easier than the long version above. I was able to pop out the rivets using a needlenose pliers and pop them back for the install. By far a recommended link!!

http://cwgrilles.com/pdf/4264.pdf

The only thing the article confused me on was the rivets in the lower section of the grille. The picture has no "fin" but my truck has the fin in the lower section.

I did not drill the license plate out but rather gently yet firmly pulled on it till the rivets broke, then i replaced them with big screws. The job took 30 min. The best way to get the grill out with the tabs is the taped putty knife. The license plate MUST be removed for removing the grille.

Good luck!

p.s. make sure you attach the ford emblem before reattaching the grille!

Finally!! There's a real billet grille setup. I hate those overlays. I love to get one and put some lights behind it. But not too sure about the edges where they cut the horizontal bars at. Looks like it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Thanks !

I just did this today on my 2006 lmtd. Below is a link that gets almost everything covered in a way that is soooo much easier than the long version above. I was able to pop out the rivets using a needlenose pliers and pop them back for the install. By far a recommended link!!

http://cwgrilles.com/pdf/4264.pdf

The only thing the article confused me on was the rivets in the lower section of the grille. The picture has no "fin" but my truck has the fin in the lower section.

I did not drill the license plate out but rather gently yet firmly pulled on it till the rivets broke, then i replaced them with big screws. The job took 30 min. The best way to get the grill out with the tabs is the taped putty knife. The license plate MUST be removed for removing the grille.

Good luck!

p.s. make sure you attach the ford emblem before reattaching the grille!

Just wanted to say THANKS ! for posting this. I was able to pull my grill in about 15 minutes....:thumbsup:

No prob...I figured it was so significantly easier than what I was seeing above. I had to do this process again and it was even easier the second time. Just be careful that the putty knife does not gouge your paint on your bumper when popping off the grille.

The tabs are reusable to reattach the grille, but they take quite a beating since they are so cheaply made.

Enjoy!

We used a 99 cent plastic putty knife for the grille clips after carefully removing the plastic rivets with a forked tool. The only thing I couldn't reuse were the license tag bracket rivets that were drilled out.

A friend has a few plastic screw type, similar to a molly bolt to replace them and I will be back 100%.

I don’t know if I would have attempted the other method…:chug:

Back