Need help with the 4405

icemaneric

Reaction score
City, State
Modesto CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
So I have this problem with my TC.
A loud spinning sound when "coasting". It does not occur at very low speeds but does at speeds over 30 or so MPH. If I reapply the gas pedal or shift into neutral the sound goes away. As long as I'm on the gas it doesn't make sound. The sound starts 3-5 seconds after you lift off the gas. If I shift into reverse to back down my driveway it will start making a whirring sound. I did a search and came across this article over at Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

It was all down to the T.
I went on ahead and followed Glacier991 write up, The Borg Warner 4405 Transfer Case Rebuild Diary

Any how, I tore into my case and found the rod that the shift fork slides into have bronze sleeves in them already. The previous owner said the case was rebuilt a year ago. All the parts look good inside. So my question is, what would cause these symptoms besides the TC halves. A bad Electric Shift Motor?

Its a 97 Explore Automatic 4x4 with a 4.0 170k on the clock. The 4wd selector has three settings. Auto, 4wd high, and low. I did read that if there are mismatched tires that could be my problem. The tire are different sets front to back. They all have about 85 tread left, if that matters.

Thanks for any help I can get from you guys and gals.

I had the exact problem you had. I couldn't take it anymore and went ahead and took a 99 Ex 4405 front halve and all it guts including the different chain assembly and mated with my 95 halve. No one mentioned if this would work or not but I just dived in and did it. No more whirring noises which was a big nusiance when you let of the gas and coasting and it runs perfect and quiet. It costed me less than a 100.00 including the front driveshaft. Checked the shift fork nylon pieces and rail? Did one of the halve got that perfect cut where the pump tab sit because my did and the pump moved. The helical cam was very loose and wobbly (the culprit?) and the case was also muddy inside which blocked the pump screen completely and the clutches assembly were very muddy and filthy. That was all the bad stuffs I saw on my 95 TC case. Hope it helps.

Back