Need new shift cable, cannot find one | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need new shift cable, cannot find one

willfargo

Reaction score
City, State
Frederick, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Keep having to adjust my shift selector cable under the steering wheel.
Had my transmission worked on today and they called to say the shifter cable was melted from the exhaust and that I should replace it as soon as possible.

Part number is F57Z-7E395-A

I cannot find it in stock anywhere - really hoping to find one (even used) so I don't end up stranded. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this the V8 or V6? Looks like a junk yard part.

V6. I guess I'll have to look further in to how to replace them. If it's a quick in and out at the junkyard that should work fine

Well the part "in stock" at Concord Spare Parts is actually not available... because it does not appear to be a real company. Russian outgoing message and tons of bad reviews online about being scammed. Guess I'm gonna have to try the junkyard

2 weeks ago I bought one from ROCKAUTO. ~ $52-
Which V-6?
ADDED:I just bought one for a '97 and they are available
1997 Explorer cable

it wont matter if its a v6 or v8, or trans. the only difference is the v6 cable has a felt around it. i didnt swap cables when i did my v8 swap years ago. if you cant find one, let me know and i can grab one off my parts trucks and take price

His is a 96 through, so I'm wondering if the lengths are the same. However, if the V6 and V8 are interchangeabler I'm sure it will fit, but you never know.

The part number that @willfargo has is a '95 part number. The rockauto one that I bought has a '97 part number. I had come up with the length for it maybe clicking on the info for it on rockauto or I captured the part number from rockauto then I went and googled it. @410Fortune could say if the '95 Transmission is the A4LD or not but my '97 has the 4R55E, so the cables may be different.
ADDED: 50.94 inches long

I did some research and found they are the same lenght cable just made different so yes, 1995 to 2000 will fit (V6 or V8).

I wasn't sure from the conversation if you had found one or an alternative that worked. I am looking for one (F57Z7E395A) for a 1995 Ford Ranger XLT 4L V6 and not finding anything. Transmission is E40D. Any info you can provide would be helpful. Thank you!

95 ranger does not use an e4od it is a 4r44e automatic

E4od is a full size truck transmission

Thank you, you are right. I had gotten that transmission number from the dealer. Not sure why they told me that. Calling them back, talking to a different person, they said they couldn't pull it up but guessed it was 4R44E or 4R55E. I called a transmission repair shop also and they said their system came up with 4R55E.

It sounds like the 97' cable (SKY1309) noted in the thread above from RockAuto would work for me. Am I understanding that correctly?

If so, there are a couple others offered for slightly more. Not sure which would be the best.

That cable should work yes

Back