Need Registration... Is there anywhere else the VIN is shown? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Registration... Is there anywhere else the VIN is shown?

Nick26

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' 5.0 XLT
Hey everyone, I just moved to RI and in order to register my truck here I have to do a VIN check at the police station first (to make sure its not stolen I assume). Well the officer said he needed to see the VIN on the vehicle in 2 different spots to make sure they matched. However I had body work done on my drivers side door so there is no more sticker there. Is the VIN written anywhere else on the vehicle besides the dash? I looked under the hood, in the dash and everywhere I could think of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Insurance inspectors are supposed to be able to find the VIN number in multiple locations.

If Ford has not changed, the last six digits of the VIN number is also a match to a number forged into the engine block. Thus the engine has a unique serial number which matches the original vehicle. That number is usually on the side of the block, below the cylinders, near the back. I don't recall which side, but you should be able to find it.

Beyond that, the VIN is evidently in multiple places. I recently found it engraved on the side of my 99 model frame. It was on the passenger side, right about centered between the wheels. The factory corrosion coating will be covering it. If you need to find that, you would have to clean a section of the frame, and afterwords reseal the bare metal. Good luck,

sharpie.s.jpg

But like cdw said, I've heard it's on a couple different spots on the frame, where I'm not sure.

Right under the front passenger seat on the frame is a number. I just had to do this exact same thing with my Mountaineer. The VIN was no longer on the driver's door, so the CHP had to crawl around underneath and look for #s. He finally found one, I guess. Or faked finding one.

etc said:
sharpie.s.jpg

But like cdw said, I've heard it's on a couple different spots on the frame, where I'm not sure.

hahaha that popped in my head too... cause the cop was like "there needs to another vin somewhere on the vehicle to pass the check"

I believe it's on the inside of the frame rail. The Officer crawled under with his Mag lite for about 15 minutes and scratched on the frame with the butt of it. Then he went into the office and came out with a scraper. Scrapped for a while and claimed he found what he was looking for.

well no luck... i was under there scrapping the whole frame rail to bare metal and couldn't find anything... if it was a sticker its a good chance it came off or i pulled it off a long time ago. otherwise if it was stamped into the frame, they must have missed mine.

What model is that Explorer?

I looked at my 99 chassis again tonight. The VIN engraved into the frame is on the outside, right side, just behind the right torsion bar cover bracket. Find those two bolts for the bracket going into the frame side.

Imagine another identical bracket laying just rearward of the bolted on bracket. Clean an area on the side of the frame just where that imaginary bracket would contact the frame. I'm trying to describe an area about five inches by two inches, the amount of cantact of that bracket on the frame. Regards,

That's odd.. because I have a 98 Mountaineer too and he was no where near the rear t bar bracket. But I thought he was faking the whole thing anyways and it was just another BS Government waste of time. :p

I'll have to look for the VIN there tomorrow. I don't have a stock frame on my '96 and I was hoping there was no proof. But oops. :eek:

i have recently had a vin check done on my toyota... they found it on my door jamb, a plate under the hood, and the dashboard... they looked on the engine but it was quite dirty so they skipped it, and checked on the sticker on the hood, made a comment that said the sticker was too dirty to read... it passed the vin check though...

Why did you have to get a VIN check? For the salvage deal?

section525 said:
Why did you have to get a VIN check? For the salvage deal?

yup... they did a vin check... it took them all of 5 minutes... they never looked on the frame.... and my engien was too caked in junk to identify if it said anything... the sticker was rotted away due to oil eating it up, but they jsut made a note that it was unreadable due to dirt

CDW6212R said:
What model is that Explorer?

I looked at my 99 chassis again tonight. The VIN engraved into the frame is on the outside, right side, just behind the right torsion bar cover bracket. Find those two bolts for the bracket going into the frame side.

Imagine another identical bracket laying just rearward of the bolted on bracket. Clean an area on the side of the frame just where that imaginary bracket would contact the frame. I'm trying to describe an area about five inches by two inches, the amount of cantact of that bracket on the frame. Regards,

well i'll be darned there is is! barely readable and covered in tar. thanks for your help everyone.

Glad to help, good luck,

Back