Need some info on 2002 caliper torque specs and reassembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some info on 2002 caliper torque specs and reassembly

SyberTiger

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
I'm in the process of doing a front brake job on my 2002 Explorer. While I'm doing the brakes I decided to repaint the calipers. I'm installing new rotors and ceramic brake pads. Anyhooo...I've got a few questions and hope anyone with the 2002 spec and other knowledge can help me out.

Torque specs for a 2002 Explorer's front brakes:

1. Torque for the caliper anchor plate bolts
2. Torque for the caliper slide pin bolts
3. Torque for the caliper brake fluid supply bolt (flow bolt?)
4. Torque for the caliper bleed screw nipple

In addition, after I removed the slide pins I noticed that the upper and lower slide pins are slightly different. One of the slide pins has a rubber bushing at the end of the pin.

5. Does the slide pin with the rubber bushing go in the top or the bottom?
6. What kind of grease do you recommend for the slide pins and is this the same stuff they call brake grease sold in tiny packs?
7. Do the copper washers need to be replaced (or reuse) on the brake fluid supply bolt?

Thanks in advance...I always appreciate your assistance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front:
Torque Specifications
Description Nm lb-ft
Brake hose bolt 35 26
Front disc brake caliper support bracket bolts 112 83
Disc brake caliper bolts 32 24
Caliper bleeder screw, front 20 15

Rear:
Torque Specifications
Description Nm lb-ft
Brake caliper bolts 32 24
Caliper flow bolt 32 24
Brake disc shield bolts 13 10
Caliper bleeder screw, rear 20 15
5-Top
6- sil-glyde available at Napa
7 - reusable

I'm thinking those specs are for a 2003 and higher Explorer....is that correct or did you post for a 2002? I know 2002 and 2003 are different.

Thanks y'all. The reason why I was asking is because I was getting conflicting numbers from the Chilton's online manual and wanted independent verification. Below is what I ended up using. Thanks again...I really apprecitate it!!! ;)

Torque specs for a 2002 Explorer's front brakes:

1. Torque for the caliper anchor plate bolts - 83 FT-LBS
2. Torque for the caliper slide pin bolts - 24 FT-LBS
3. Torque for the caliper brake fluid supply bolt (flow bolt?) - 26 FT-LBS
4. Torque for the caliper bleed screw nipple - Tightened it by hand until it felt good and tight but didn't over do it.
5. Does the slide pin with the rubber bushing go in the top or the bottom? - I went with Bottom Replacement Parts
6. What kind of grease do you recommend for the slide pins and is this the same stuff they call brake grease sold in tiny packs? - Used grease specific for use on brakes and calipers. It's a high temperature grease sold in tiny packets or tubes.
7. Do the copper washers need to be replaced (or reuse) on the brake fluid supply bolt? - Used new copper washers as they are cheap and not worth the risk of a leak. Any auto parts store carries them or can get them.

6. What kind of grease do you recommend for the slide pins and is this the same stuff they call brake grease sold in tiny packs? - Used grease specific for use on brakes and calipers. It's a high temperature grease sold in tiny packets or tubes.
]

Advance Auto Parts also sells a large plastic jar of brake caliper grease (green colored grease) for approx. $11-$13. It has a brush applicator attached to the bottom of the jar lid. At their web site, I tried to pull up the link for it, but all it gave me was the page with the packets or tube of the stuff, but they do carry it in the large plastic jar as well. I bought one there last month. Off the top of my head, I think it's made by Permatex. I'll check on the brand tomorrow morning to be sure.

Back