Need some turbo recomendations

EVLSPL

Reaction score
City, State
Fitzgerald GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
Hello all,
With my truck nearing completion with the stereo I find myself wanting something else to put on the mounty. The first thing that comes to mind is a turbo. The problem, I don't know what size turbo I need to get. I don't want to make any changes in the motor for now, so that narrows me down to around 5-6psi. My mounty is a 2002 4.0 with a 2wd tranny. Does anyone have a turbo recommendation for my goal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an STS remote mount. Spool is excellent. Are you looking to buy new? If so, I may be able to help.-j

STS is overpriced... I'm not saying that it does not work, they do... but for what you pay and what you get it's not worth it. Plus you must fab it all in there anyway, you might as well start a kit from scratch and save about a grand.

Also the cost of the kit isn't all, now you are looking at injectors, tune, blow-threw MAF, etc.

There are no under the hood options either, unless you go custom.

I wasn't really wanting to do any under the hood options, its already cramped under there as it is. The remote mount sounds good to me. I was wanting to just get the turbo, bov, and wastegate. If I can find those, getting my friend to make the tubing and lines won't be an issue. Does anyone know what size/type turbo I would need to get?

Also the cost of the kit isn't all, now you are looking at injectors, tune, blow-threw MAF, etc.

Would all of those be necessary in a low boost project?

STS is overpriced... I'm not saying that it does not work, they do... but for what you pay and what you get it's not worth it. Plus you must fab it all in there anyway, you might as well start a kit from scratch and save about a grand.

The STS Universal kit pricing is not bad at all for what you get. You may be able to save a buck or two buying your parts elsewhere but the customer service you get from your dealer will more than make up for it. Very few people can piece together their own turbo system from total scratch so that dealer customer service is well worth it to most. That is one huge factor that people forget to include when looking to buy parts for their cars.

Yes you will need to upgrade your injectors, get a different MAF, and have it all tuned. Talk to James (jah81592) in here and he can set you up with everything you need in one big package deal as well as providing that most critical piece of the pie... Great customer service. :thumbsup:

Overpriced? Blow thru MAF? I really don't see it being overpriced. My kit is draw thru..Regards-j

Yes, at the minimum 36# injectors and a 190lph pump,Lightning MAF-j

could you point me in the direction of the specific injectors and pump? for the lightning maf should I go with the 80mm or the 90mm?

Instead of a remote turbo I am going to put on a m90 supercharger. I just found out that a M90 supercharger off a v6 thunderchicken will work on a 4.0 with a kit.

Overpriced? Blow thru MAF? I really don't see it being overpriced. My kit is draw thru..Regards-j

Yes, at the minimum 36# injectors and a 190lph pump,Lightning MAF-j

Is there an echo? ya overpriced. If you dont have any fabrication skills it is fine. You opted to have a draw through an a wastegate, maybe i want a blow threw and a BOV... its all in how you want to set it up.

To the original poster: Read up!
Turbo Tech 101
Tubo Tech 102
Turbo Tech 103

Is there an echo? ya overpriced. If you dont have any fabrication skills it is fine. You opted to have a draw through an a wastegate, maybe i want a blow threw and a BOV... its all in how you want to set it up.

Jeff, no need for your smartass attitude here. You may want to do a little reading on turbo systems yourself before being a smartass to a vendor/very experience member in here. You posted some good links, I suggest you read them first yourself before trying to post anymore technical info regarding turbo systems.

From your wording it sounds like you got it in your head that you can opt to either have a WG or a BOV to regulate boost????!?!??!!? Ummmm, all turbo systems require a wastegate. It is what regulates boost; NOT THE BOV. Not all turbo systems, especially ones on auto trans vehicles, require a BOV. All a BOV does is allow boost to vent to atmosphere so as to not overpressure the intake tract and TB while off the gas. It does nothing for regulating the amount of boost you are running. A BOV also allows the pressure to be release while off the gas which allows the turbine to freewheel, which means you can get back into boost sooner after you get back on the gas. Like I said, do some reading before replying in a smartass manner in here. Knowledge garners allot more respect in here versus just attitude. :thumbsup:

could you point me in the direction of the specific injectors and pump? for the lightning maf should I go with the 80mm or the 90mm?

I would look for a Holley 190lph pump from a 96-98 Mustang and a set of 39# injectors (EV-6 style) from a 03-04 Cobra as well as a Lightning (90mm) Maf. These will be excellent starting points and will provide a little growth as well. Great to see you exploring the world of turbos. This gets me very excited. Later-j

Man, I have a lot of respect for James. He has thick skin.

Yes, if you're only wanting low boost then the M-90 will work for you. However, when you slap that thing on there and start wanting more, you're stuck. I know those ranger dudes really like the M-90 because there cheap but they have there limitations too. And you'll hit that really fast. The good thing is; you'll be able to fry eggs on the top of that blower.

To the original poster: Read up!
Turbo Tech 101
Tubo Tech 102
Turbo Tech 103

There not overpriced if you like quality. If you want to pc a kit together and work out all the bugs for a couple of years then pc one together. Or, you can just save money and buy something that's already proven.

I understand that the m90 doesn't allow a lot of improvement but, my truck is mainly just for cruising and looking sexy. Looky here what I picked up yesterday!!
101_0299.jpg

Looks good and will work out well for your goals. I WOULD do the RPCaster kit if I were you. It's actually not all that much money, and from I've seen, it looks pretty good and complete. Just do something about that plastic intake tube he sends with it. I'd search EBAY for some "Intercooler Pipe" for the intake and if you have a Miter saw (Even for wood) you can run down to home depot and buy a 10" metal cutting blade. It makes cutting that aluminium very easy and precise. Deburr it and you're good to go.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I already some sweet ass tubing to go on it. Thanks for watching out for me though.

One issue that I have been going over is relocating the coil pack, it may not be necessary but, I just have to wait until I get the kit to see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man, I have a lot of respect for James. He has thick skin.

Thanks Jake, I look at it kinda like a drive thru or telephone. You have people on forums which spout off who would never do it to someones face. Oh well, I let it roll off my back and don't worry about it. Performance cost money and there isn't a cheap alternative out there for it. Yes there are deals but they are usually plagued with the lack of tech support or any support for that matter. My customers pay a fair market value but guess what they get, a cell phone #, tech support and customer service only dreamed of by many of my competitors. Isn't that worth something? In this day and age there isn't any loyalty to anything. I won't drop my prices to match the parts ****** on Ebay and etc, that isn't the way my company is designed. My company is designed to help my customers and do whats right with the fair market resale. STS prices overpriced? No I don't believe so I think it is priced fairly for what you get. Oh and you get a warranty to boot. You can piece a turbo together from used components but the tech support and warranty aren't present. STS is an excellent company and I recommend them to anyone looking for artificial aspiration. Turbos get a bad rap due to improperly sized components and the lack of tech assistance resulting in a laggy setup.My turbo is remote mounted and has continued to prove that the quality and performance is on par with any other boosted system out there.

To the threadstarter, good luck with your project and if you need any help or advice let me know. I will gladly assist. Please remember that the support hardware isn't glamorous but is necessary to support whatever huffer you decide on. Tuning is something you will need as well. Don't skimp in this area, your tuner can make or break you. Regardless of who you use make sure they are open minded and accessible. The latter being equally important.Good luck and keep us informed of the progress. I am eagerly awaiting to see the results.-j

BTW I am only one state away and I will travel!!!

Back