Need to know gears

Blaine122300

Elite Non explorer owner
Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Land Rover Disco
I need some gears that will work great for 33's and also I need something that will be able to tow my pop up camper. I'm thinking that if I get 4:56's and 33's, that will be a great combo, but with towing a trailer, I'm thinking I will not have power to pull it. If I put on the stock tires for towing, will this work. Will it give me too much torque for towing? also I'm not entirely sure what my gears are. The tag on my rear diff says [31 73 88 OH15] above that is says S629B. What does all this mean. Does it mean that I have 3:88 gears or something. I have no clue when it comes to decifering this stuff. any one know?

Andy

I believe you have 3.73 gears. 4.56s with 33's should give you plenty of power, even for towing.

if you look in the door jam and get the axel code you can do a search on this site for axel codes cause i know someone has posted all the codes and their corrisponding ratios. i think alec is right you have 3.73 the the 31 is for the spline of the axel the 73 is the ratio and 88 is for the carrier and housing which is an 8.8

You do know that you need about 4 inches of lift to fit 33's right? (I'm sure you do).

4.56 will give you a lot of torque. Even with 33's.

Back