Need TPMS Info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need TPMS Info

I recently purchased a 2006 Explorer Limited and although I love everything about this vehicle, I am disappointed with the "PLASTIC" wheels and "skinny" Michelin tires.

I would like to replace this wheel/tire combo with a Momo wheel / Toyo tire combo, but I am concerned with the TPMS and dash display.

I want to keep the OEM wheels and tires intact for winter use but use the new Momo/Toyo combo for the summer months. I would like to be able to use the TPMS for both sets of wheels however this seems to be a problem.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I purchase a second set of sensors (from Ford) and successfully have them installed in the new wheels.
2. Can I reprogram the new sensors myself? What additional equipment do I need to reprogram.
3. Can I simply disable the TPMS? How?
4. If I do not install the sensors in the new wheels, what indicators in the dash display will be lit and can they be reset (how often will alarms re-occur

I hope someone can help because my local dealer surely cannot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow good questions.
May not be alot of information on the Ford tire pressure monitoring system on this forum yet, it is just too new of a model.

Have you tried a search??

If your local dealer is clueless I suggest you try a better dealer, maybe not so local?
The srvice3 department at any good dealership should be familiar with this system and be able to answer your questions.

I am sure you can buy 4 new sensors from Ford for your new wheels, but expect them to charge you alot of $$$ compared to the aftermarket. However with you mentioning Momo wheels and Toyo tires I am guessing $$$ is not the biggest concern to you :)

I would imagine the light on the dash that will come on if the sensors are missing would be the same that come on if the tire pressure is reduced to jsut below the lowest acceptable setting (hint hint, try it)

You may be able to disable the system, again your dealer (a good dealer, they are not all the same, not even close) should be able to answer ALL of your questions.
I would be ashamed of my sales and service crew if you came to my dealership with these questions and we could not answer them for you. In fact if I was you and they couldnt asnwer you or at least tell you they will contact Ford and get an you an answer, I would take my business elsewhere.

Thanks 410

I read about your BII conversion. Makes my TPMS problems insignificant. Enjoy that machine looks like alot of fun.

I am looking at 22" Momo Storm wheels with 265X40 22" Proxes Tires - $3400

The wheel sensors from Ford are $54 each. I think they have a handheld device for programming the wheel sensors. I am trying to get pricing for it.

My alternative is to have Ford reprogram everytime I change wheels and tires and that will cost $90 every time.

I also have a 3" custom exhaust in the Truck. It is 304 Stainless with a Magnaflow muffler and left side exit with a cool split tip. Sounds great looks great.

If you hear of any Blower kits for the 06 EXP V8 let me know. Thanks for the info.

Joe

the 3 valve 4.6L?
Have you tried a search?
A blower can be fit to any engine and I am pretty sure there are kits for the 4.6L already.
Whether or not they work with your 06 version I have no clue.

Those are some nice wheels and a nice truck!! Lets see some pictures! :p

I feel your pain. I bought the chrome wheels that come on the 06 Limited and mounted them on my 06 XLT. The new wheels had no sensors. Now I push the reset on the dash every time I start the car. Been to two dealers and no answers. All I want is the procedure to take the sensors off my old wheels and put them on the chrome. There is a band that goes all the way around the inside of the rim to hold the sensor and it looks like it would require a special tool to remove and replace them. If I find the answer I'll let you know. Already asked if they would disable the system -- NO

I wrote a thread about the TPMS system and there are questions in there similar to yours. Look in my signature under "My Useful Threads" and you'll find it.

-Drew

Hi guys! I am from Switzerland, and since 1.5 years I own an Explorer V8, 4.6L, most probably one of the only 10 in the entire country!

Yesterday I dicovered that my rear left TPMS stem seems to have a crack. I am afraid that I might have to replace the entire sensor! Is this available as spare part, and where can I get it! In Switzerland it's virtually impossible!

Thanks Ernesto (from Zurich)

Why wouldn't a Ford dealer be able to get it for you? As for one of the previous questions about reprogramming a sensor, OTC makes a pretty expensive programmer for the TPMS, but isn't worth the price if you are going to use it once, and put it in a tool box.

As for reprograming any shop by now (our shop has them) can reprogram them for you cheaper than the dealership...

I believe that's correct, however you have to understand, that the XP3's the new Explorers are not imported through the official dealers anymore! Ford has a strange strategy, the dropped the new V8 Explorer from their program, in order to push the Range Rover (same group now!)!
Therefore whenever I find a better way to import, I do it directly, and I learned, that you can do it with a strong magnet all by yourself!

About TPMS : I was still searching for summer-wheels, but I don´t like the pricing on 18" / 20" tires. And : I don´t like that Coffee-Racer lookout.

Yesterday I just tried the 16" from my 99 XLT on my 2006 Eddie - and I wondered that the TPMS didn´t say anything !

Reason : the TPMS compares the signals from all 4 wheels - if one signal is different, a message is given out. If one Sensor gives no signal, TPMS failure occurs. But - and that´s funny - 4 x nothing is a an identical signal, and the TPMS isn´t fretting :D

So I guess I keep the orginal chrom-plastic-wheels for Winter-use and look for some nice aloy rims for summertime :)

Hi guys!
I just needed a set of new tires. No problem, however I found out that two out of four TPMS valves showed beginning cracks!

I had the TMPS valves replaced by ordinary valves. Does anyone know how I disable the TMPS System in my 2004 Explorer Ltd, V8, 4.6L?

Many thanks

Ernesto from Switzerland

You will need to see if theres a fuse for that module. The signals from the sensors are all sent to a reciever that probably has fuse somehwere

-Drew

TPMS deactivation

Hi Drew

I checked the manual and learned that fuses 16 and 25 are related to the TPMS. I tried every combination (remove either one or both) however the warning in the panel stayed on! :(

The location of the fuse panle is brilliant :mad: if you're not a sleek teenager anymore, or a well trained green beret :)salute: ) it's a torture to change fuses under the steering wheel!

However I am not even one step further than before ....

One funny remark from the tire center (one of the largest I've ever seen):
"Oh yes, we know that the TPMS of Ford is a pain in the neck, we replace all those TPMS with regular valves, and safetywise the problem is solved!" :confused:

My thoughts: "What good does it, if the TPMS system that should increase your safety is the source of leakage and cracks ...." :eek:

Ernesto

Back