• Register Today It's free!

Negative Camber on my X!

oso_polar

Reaction score
City, State
Caracas, Venezuela
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
For those who don't know what CAMBER means, here I go...

Camber is the tilting of the wheels from the vertical when viewed from the front or rear of the vehicle. When the wheels tilt out at the top is said to be positive. When the wheels tilt in at the top the camber is negative. the amount of tilt is measured in degrees from the vertical and this measurment is called camber angle.

The point is that I just realized that my X is suffering a negative camber, I would say that at least 5° this is not exactly, surely I´m wrong.

How do I get my wheels back in camber 0°?? I'm going to get my new tires maybe for xtmas and this is affecting the thread of my tires!!:fire:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5°? :eek:

Get an alignment.

How did you make the little degrees symbol? I just cut and paste the one I did from your post, but want to know how to make one again.

How did you make the little degrees symbol? I just cut and paste the one I did from your post, but want to know how to make one again.

SHIFT+the key besides Number 1 key...(left)

yob_yeknom is right, alignment. The camber can be adjusted slightly by simply turning the camber bushing. However, as I said this is for a slight adjustment. If it requires more, the camber bushing has to br replaced. That of course is not included in the normal cost of an alignment. I just had mine aligned, it cost $59 + tax, I did not need a camber adjustment. As I remember the shop told me it would cost about $25 more to replace the bushings.

Have u ever fixed the negative camber? I have negative camber after i jumped my truck and got it aligned with the camber adjusters. It looks better but still has negative camber.

i dont think it is out 5° that would be way too much....unless you bent something..... i dont think the newer ones have camber bushings, in fact, i know they dont...... i am not sure what they use though....you need to get it aligned.....

5° is bad. There is a slight amount of adjustment in the '95+ models. Anything more they have to install the bushings.

My camber is about 1.5 degrees negative with camber adjustments. What else can i do to fix this or do u think i could live with it if i just rotate my tires often?

Originally posted by jimabena74
i dont think it is out 5° that would be way too much....unless you bent something..... i dont think the newer ones have camber bushings, in fact, i know they dont...... i am not sure what they use though....you need to get it aligned.....

Actually they use adjustment "cams".

Originally posted by SCEXPLORER
My camber is about 1.5 degrees negative with camber adjustments. What else can i do to fix this or do u think i could live with it if i just rotate my tires often?

I went to Firestone today (where i always go) and they told me that mine as well is probly about 4-5 degrees off neg. camber. They said the best they could do is 2.5 degree cams. What else (if anything) can i do to get back to 0? If anything??? Will it really affect my tires if they're about 1-2 degrees off? Thanks...

Kind of thinking aloud here, but could there be another problem involved? For example, on the older TTB suspensions, a common cause of negative camber is the springs getting old and weak. Replace the springs and that will lift the front back up and correct (to a certain extent) negative camber.

I guess I have negative camber too. Check out these pics...

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Both front tires are like that. They look like they're tilted in from the top but the tires wear very evenly at 30psi. Should I worry about it?

Oh...I see how it is. When I post, no one replies. That's great! I feel loved! :p

Haha...noticed my sarcasm??

Bumpity bump.

'96XEB- uh that's not really that bad compared to mine...

My camber problem is not solve at all, they said I will need to replace something, I don't remember what it was...?!?! So it's there, but your problem maybe could be solve with aligment, and yes, you have a negative camber, when I got to the aligment shop, and put the truck on the machine, the computer wrote 1° on the left front tire, and 1.8° on the front rigth tire, and he said that he cannot help, so I guess no one wanna mess up a lifted explorer.... did you already go to an aligment shop??

i went to a mechanic to get an alignment done and the guy who did it said that the ford specs called for a certain amount of negative camber. he said it was stupid and he set my camber to less than the factory spec but its still slightly negative. Should i just get him to make it 0?

YEAH!!!! i can finallly complain without feeling alone! ok heres my story.... i had a pretty negative camber after i lifted my xplorer with the superlift kit.... so i took it to FIRESTONE..... i dont know why... i think its cus they were open on sunday... usually i use my shop or the offroad shop.... but back to the story.... they told me they were going to put in 2 degree cambers... and come to find out a while later they put in 1 1/4 and its wayyyyy negative... and i didnt have the money to fix it so my brand new super swampers are ruined.... :(
Is there any way i can take them to small claims court and get them to pay for my tires? i dont want them paying for my cambers or doing them cus they would probably find a way to screw them up.... i will have my shop do it... any help is appreciated

Back