• Register Today It's free!

New 2014 Explorer Sport Questions

Lobbyist

Reaction score
City, State
Grosse Pointe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I just took delivery of a 2014 Explorer that I ordered in January. I have had it for four days and have a few questions. It's white with sienna leather and I check all the option boxes including the rear bucket seats. My first question is regarding the stereo. I have modified the settings turned the speed adjusted volume to the maximum. Yet it still feels underwhelming. I have to constantly set the volume to over half and even at maximum it's not that loud. Am I missing something??

There are some squeaks and rattles. Is this normal?

Are there any things I should know about like TSBs, any modifications, etc? Thanks in advance for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just took delivery of a 2014 Explorer that I ordered in January. I have had it for four days and have a few questions. It's white with sienna leather and I check all the option boxes including the rear bucket seats. My first question is regarding the stereo. I have modified the settings turned the speed adjusted volume to the maximum. Yet it still feels underwhelming. I have to constantly set the volume to over half and even at maximum it's not that loud. Am I missing something??

Are there any things I should know about like TSBs, any modifications, etc? Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes the radio sucks. You can tune to your hearts desire. It won't help. My 2012 Focus sounds three times as good with its optional sub. Depressing to say the least, for an almost 50K ride.

No squeaks or rattles to talk about in the exploder. The focus, that's another story. At-least I can turn the radio up in the ride.

Mod wise, search around the forum. Lots of goodies to be had for this ride.

Buzz

I am sitting in my 13 sport and the volume is set to the third bar for a normal setting. I would check your audio eq to make sure the bass/mid/treble isn't turned all the way down.

I do not use the speed compensated volume because our cabin is so quite even at highway speeds. We do not have any rattles or squeaks. It's so quite that when we have a foam cup in the cup holder it sometimes squeaks enough to drive us crazy. I am quite impressed with the Explorers cabin.

I've had my Exp Sport for a week now, no squeaks or rattles.

As for the sound system, be sure go to in and check the bass/treble/etc settings. Mine, oddly, were nearly all maxed out which really made the bass heavy and muddy. Correcting those helped a lot.

While I can't say so for the Explorer - mostly because its not here yet - but in past vehicles (Edge Sport for example) I've always set my mid-range to a negative number. I find it significantly improves the quality and crispness of the sound.

I sincerely hope the stereo in the Explorer Sport is at least as good the Edge Sport's. I was quite impressed with it.

If your volume is at maximum and its not 'that loud' something could might be wrong. It's definitely not the most amazing system, but I'd say its moderately adequate. The guys that have added an aftermarket sub seem pretty happy.

If you have squeaks and rattles - you shouldn't. Get those addressed right away.

As far as mods, if your into power, we've got all sorts of discussions regarding tunes, exhausts, etc in the modified forums....

Enjoy!

Ajar

Welcome to the Forum Lobbyist.:wavey:
I assume the Sport has the same Sony radio that the Limited has. The volume indicator graph has 5 sections made up of smaller bars. My volume is set at 1 small bar past the first section. I find that turning it up a few more small bars (that seems to be about 1/4 volume) is too loud on mine. .
After 3 years, the interior is still quiet and rattle/squeak free.
I really enjoy the system but anything can be improved.
If all DIY attempts to remedy this situation fail by adjusting settings etc., I suggest taking it back to the dealer. You can also send a PM to Crystal (FordService) and she can help to get things rolling. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
clude your name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info in your message.

Peter

I just took delivery of a 2014 Explorer that I ordered in January. I have had it for four days and have a few questions. It's white with sienna leather and I check all the option boxes including the rear bucket seats. My first question is regarding the stereo. I have modified the settings turned the speed adjusted volume to the maximum. Yet it still feels underwhelming...

Hi Lobbyist,

As Peter mentioned, I'll be happy to look into this for you. Just PM me the information he listed in his post (full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership); I'll get your information into the hands of your regional customer service manager. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back