New Concept for a Spare Tire Rack | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Concept for a Spare Tire Rack

Hi Guys,
Im asking your opinin of this concept, its a Spare Tire Rack for the inside of your Explorer. It would get mounted to the floor in the rear cargo area, along the side by the Subwoofer or if you don't have the subwoofer, your storage compartment. I was sick and tired of having my full-time spare(265/75R16 BFG AT ko) laying in the cargo area, so I stood it up and strapped it down to the 2 tie downs in the cargo area. The Tire just cleared the celing (I wouldn't try this with anything larger then a 265/75/r16). This is ok but I wanted something a little more sturdy. What do you guys think? Is it posible to mount it to the floor?

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

List of materials:
2" Diameter Black Pipe
2" 90 deg Elbow
2" Mounting Flange
3 1/2" studs (from the auto parts store)
All 1/4" thk Steel plate Welded, and Threaded where is able to be done.

FYI, If anyone wants to make one, let me know and I will get you all the measurements needed. I have drawn this up with the help of some Expensive CAD Software.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see no problem with it. Looks pretty good actualy. Its going to take up a lot of space, but im sure that spare already goes.

I don't know if any of you have seen the new Tomb Raider flick, but in it, the main character is dropped into a jungle along with her Land Rover D90. This truck has its spare tire mounted on the hood. I thought it looked pretty trick. You couldn't do this with a super wide tire, probably nothing wider than a 1250, but hey its a spare.

Remember that the spare tire is going to get mounted to this like it would get mounted to the truck with lug nuts to the axle.

I would like to keep it on the roof, but im worried that it would get stolen before i would need it. this way its safely locked in the truck. I think keeping it on the Roof or the hood are cool idea's.

interesting idea. probably should incorporate some kinda wing nut type attachment at the base - so you can throw it aside once in a while if you need to haul something in back.

3/8" plate sounds excessive. very heavy, also. 1/4" plate is some strong stuff, and probably more than enough.

good luck

Yeah, you have some good idea's.
a) 1/4 steel plate instead of 3/8 steel plate
b) Removable

I will revise it to be 1/4 steel plate, and think about a way that I can maybe mount a plate to the floor of the truck and then mount the Spare tire rack to it with wing nuts, making it removable.

Would the tire be able to clear the upper flange?

CBoug76,

your idea is good but the tire will take up a bunch of interior space....how about putting it deflated back under your truck? and carry an air compressor in the truck...then when you need it you can just air it up....and afterwheeling you can use your portable air compressor to air your tires back up.....

I tried that (mounting it deflated back under my truck) with my 265 75R16 tire. I let the air out to 5psi and I still couldn't wedge it up under mine with my hitch on.

that is wierd....several people said that there 31 fits with room to spare but .....

CBoug.....I can't see why it won't work. I've got some plans for a roll cage to go in once I lift my truck(tminus 13months) and the tire will go back there. Perry's truck as well as several prerunners have it mounted like this. The biggest difference is that mine will be connected to the roll cage.....how's will your's be tied down??

Like the idea......good luck

ps.....after looking at it I would make some changes.

1. Add some bolts to it so the lugs could bolt right on to it.
2. Add some holes in the bottom. I can't see why you can't drill through the floor and bolt it down. You'll need to use the passanger side to avoid the gas tank, but it should work fine.

So your making something sort of what they have in J**p Cherokees?
Seems like a good idea

??

Whats wrong with just using the original spare tire compartment under the explorer????eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The original compartment under the explorer is small and there is a limit to the size of the tire that can fit there.

FWIW, I just added a Hidden Hitch (round tube, hidden design) hitch to my '97 XLT. When I went to put the original 235/75-15 spare back, it barely fit... it rubs front to rear.

With the Hidden Hitch, you won't be able to run bigger than stock (equivalent of 29" or so) spare tire in the original well.

CBoug76, I don't want to take way from your design, which looks great by the way, but what about this one from http://fabtechmotorsports.com? Mounted in the middle of the cargo area, it should be able to hold a large tire and it would be fairly easy to install/remove.

Dead Link Removed

Thanks guys for all your feedback.

Leebo,
I have added bolts in the revised drawing, I just hadn't drawn them at the time of the last drawing. I will use lug nuts and bots to mount the tire to this. Also I will be drilling the bottom plate at the time when I install this in the Explorer.

bigtigexplorer,
I sort of already had this, when I strapped my tire to the tie downs in the back of the Explorers. having it this way took up too much room.

265/75/r16's do NOT fit under the Explorers in the Stock Spare Tire location when you have a Hidden Hitch Round Tube Trailer Hitch.

section525,
Flange has been removed.

Dead Link Removed

I Also have changed a few other things.
List of materials:
1 1/2" Diameter Black Pipe
1 1/2" 90 deg Elbow
1 1/2" Mounting Flange
3 1/2" studs (from the auto parts store)
All 1/4" thk Steel plate Welded, and Threaded where is able to be done.

Update,
I got the 1/2" Alumnium Plate from the Machinist on Wednesday morning, its Great, he even pressed the Studs into it so they are flush bith the back of the plate. This is good but it may also be bad, since the studs have an area where there is no thread at the base, the Lug Nuts may bottom out before the tire is tight. If this happens i have a Piece of rubber that is 1/2", I will cut it and place this on first before the rim goes on, to take up space and act as a cushion. I will have photo's this weekend of the parts and of it fully assembled.

Updated List of Materials
Qty..Description
1.....1 1/2" Diameter Black Pipe 14" long (threaded on one end)
1.....1 1/2" Diameter Black Pipe 4.5" long (threaded on both ends)
1.....1 1/2" 90 deg Elbow
1.....1 1/2" Mounting Flange
4.....1/4-20 S/S Flat head bolts, 5/8" long
3.....Lug Nuts (from FORD)
3.....Studs (from FORD to mate with the Lug Nuts)
.......1 1/2" x 1 1/2" Angle Iron for the 45 deg braces.
.......1/4" Steel plate for the Base
.......1/4" Steel plate for the Brace

Cost for this project:
2.50 for 3 - Studs
1.85 for 4 - 1/4-20 S/S Flat head bolts, 5/8" long
4.50 for 1 1/2" Mounting Flange
FREE Pipe (Its great to have a Dad in the construction industry)
FREE Angle Iron (dito)
FREE Elbow (dito)
FREE Steel Plate (dito)
FREE 7" Round Alum. plate (Its pays to be friends with a Machinist)
FREE Welding (Dad Will do it)

Cheap sparetire holder

I have an easy , cheap , cool idea on an outside spare carrier .... Alot of bicycle rack co.'s make ball hitch and reciever hitch bike carriers . My idea would be to take one of those remove the top section intended to hold the bike's . And in it's place weld a plate w/ the wheel bolt patern , walla . Now i would recommend one that is designed to carry 3-4 bikes so that it is plenty strong ( desinged to hold 100 -140 #'s ).. Hitch mnt.( stronger than ball mnt. ) and also a foldable model , to make rear hatch access Xtremly easy ... I don't see why gas can holders etc. couln't be added also ...... Lemme know what you think . I'm savin' up $$$ now to try it .. (est. tl. $$$ to be 150 incl. welding and plate) . Rand .....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only problem with putting the tire on the hood, would be field of vision. I would love to put it on the hood, but wonder if i can even see above the tire and all.

Back