New Explorer Sport Owner in Northern Illinois | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer Sport Owner in Northern Illinois

dave_23

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Bought a 2014 Tuxedo Black Metallic Explorer Sport with 401A and the tow package in May. I’ve been taking it easy during the break-in period. We had a family trip planned to the North Carolina outer banks in early July. I decided to have my first oil change done before we left with only about 1400 miles. We made the 2100 mile round trip drive with no problems. I ended up with a 23.6 MPG average despite pushing it hard through the Appalachian mountains and running pretty much 10 to 15 miles over the speed limit at all times. This was with four additional passengers and a weeks worth of gear.

Some other notes and observations about my trip; We went through several heavy thunderstorms on the trip East. The maximum wiper speed was used several times and managed to keep visibility just good enough to see. Driving through West Virginia / Virginia with massive downpours, the Explorer had no problems and felt solid and in control at all times going up and down the 5 degree grades at 80+ MPH. The AC worked beautifully and the air conditioned seats were great to have in the summer heat.

The Explorer did take a nasty rock hit to the windshield that left about a nickel sized crack nearly dead center on the return trip in NC. It should be repaired this week. The Navigation system is taking some getting used to, it seems to create more “interesting” routes than Google Maps. It had me taking a 22 mile shortcut down a very hilly and windy road in Ohio which was described as a scenic highway. This was around 10PM at night and the road was very poorly lit. The Explorer handled it with ease. The high beams seem to be aimed a little high and center but they were still bright enough. I will definitely be exploring some headlight upgrade options. The next morning, leaving Cincinnati, we just barely avoided an accident when a car coming the other direction on the interstate lost control and crossed the wide grassy median right in front of us and slammed into the guardrail on our side. Not sure what made the driver lose control, but he crossed about 50 feet in front of us, the Explorer easily maneuvered out of a what could have been a nasty accident.

This is my first Ford since a 1997 Taurus SHO. I am very happy with it so far.

Welcome, and good choice of color! (I got the same LOL). Glad the Explorer is meeting your expectations so far.

Get some Rain-X for your windshield. I have it on both my vehicles as well as my wife's. The stuff works wonders for visibility. On the freeway, I don't have to use my wipers at all unless it's a very light mist. Funny that the really heavy rains are no issue, but the light mist requires more frequent use of the wipers.

Back