• Register Today It's free!

New here and have a question

Rev500ss

Reaction score
City, State
Ajax, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
Hi everyone I am new here, this is my first post.
Today my gf bought a 99 explorer xlt. She is getting the truck on Friday but I have a question.

On the dash it has a AUTO/4 HI/ 4LO switch. Can someone explain the AUTO function of this switch.

Is the truck always in 4 wheel drive and only used the front wheels when it senses a rear wheel slipping?

Are these trucks hard on fuel with the 4L in them? is there anything I should look out for with these trucks.

Any tips and tricks would be great!

Thanks in advance

Rev500ss

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, that is kind of how it works, when the output shaft sensors in the transfer case detect the rear wheels spinning, the computer (GEM) energizes an electromagnet in the transfer case. The electromagnet locks the clutch pack, and sends power to the front wheels.

A couple of things to watch out for: if she has the 4.0 SOHC, watch out for timing chain problems. The transmission 5R55E, watch out for that too. If the O/D OFF light starts flashing, get it checked out ASAP. The transfer case BW 4405 watch out for that. She has the ControlTrac system, so it is very important that all 4 tires match perfectly, tread wear must match, so proper rotation by the manual is very important. It is a fairly complicated vehicle, and a '99 is getting some age on it, so a bit of TLC is in order. All that being said, you came to the right place! Welcome to the forum.

With my 98, I get about 15mpg but I'm 19 and drive more aggressively so that may cause it. My trans just went out it has the same as yours, they are a problem on this gen explorers.

If you have to go in or out of 4L make sure your in neutral and to my knowledge your not supposed to turn or go above like 20mph, in upstate NY 4H has been enough to get me where I'm going for the most part.

The big issue with this truck is they are flip happy, so be careful around turns and what not.

flip happy

The big issue with this truck is they are flip happy, so be careful around turns and what not.

Its not the truck that's so flip happy, its the morons driving them. :roll: You cannot expect a 4x4 suv to handle like a sports car. I recently while on a 1300 mile trip had not one but 2 blow outs. I had no problems safely handling the truck and pulling to the shoulder and had no issues keeping the other 3 tires on the ground.

Its not the truck that's so flip happy, its the morons driving them. :roll: You cannot expect a 4x4 suv to handle like a sports car. I recently while on a 1300 mile trip had not one but 2 blow outs. I had no problems safely handling the truck and pulling to the shoulder and had no issues keeping the other 3 tires on the ground.

True, but they moreso than others got the rep for roll overs.

They aren't flip happy, quit the rumor from continuing. I've come close several times, but I also corner very quickly and I don't claim to be a smart driver.
Our 2nd gen explorers handle very well for being 5,000 lb suvs. Only car that I've driven that handles better is my girlfriends maxima, and it isn't much better. Civic slides and throws the body around, rams likes to throw the rear end around, tacoma is the same as ram, silverado is the same (go figure, pickups don't like corners), Blazer likes to plow, didn't get to push the stang :(

Hope she likes it :thumbsup:
This forum is pretty darn good, look in the stock 95-01 section for all the stickys. That'll help ya'll out.
Change the oil asap, engine, trans, diff, transfer case. Check the ball joints, and tie rod ends.

thanks for all the input. I will be checking back in regularly once she brings the truck home and I start to work on it.

Rev500ss

Back