• Register Today It's free!

NEW MEMBER 2004 Explorer

ChosenMedia

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, I'm a new member and own a 2004 Ford Explorer. It's the v6 model and ran GREAT until the transmission solenoid started acting crazy. It used to belong to the US Forestry folks and has a strobe light system in front and back lights. Haven't fired it up yet. LOL.

My Explorer as about 180,000 miles on it and now it is slow to shift from 1st to 2nd. Shifts at about 3,500 RPMs then shifts fine.

I'd like to keep it and want to start rebuilding it. After I fix the transmission, I'm wondering if anyone has put a lift kit on their Explorer and if it is worth doing so with a V6 vs. the V8? Again, mine is a V6. Outside of a lift, I'd like to put some bigger wheels on the truck, new exhaust and a paint job. Nothing more than that. Just a nice, lifted Explorer with nice rims and runs GREAT. Something I can drive once or twice a week.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. FNG.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The main issue with the 4.0L SOHC V6 in your Explorer is the timing chains and guides will eventually fail. Many do this way before they reach the miles you have on your Explorer. When this occurs it can destroy the engine. Even if it doesn't destroy the engine, the procedure to replace the timing chains and guides require the engine to be removed from the vehicle. This is done typically at a cost of around $2k-$2.5k just for the repair and a massive cost of $4k-$5k if the engine has to be replaced if you don't do the work yourself. Personally, I would not put a lot of money into a high mileage V6 Explorer or Mountaineer that hasn't had the chains and guides replaced in the last 50k miles. If you are looking at replacing the one you have then keep in mind that any 2002-2005 model and any V6 2006-2010 model has the same 5R55 transmission as your Explorer. These transmissions are prone to failure any time after 100k miles that typically requires a rebuild or replacement for around $3k.

If you decide to replace your vehicle, I strongly recommend getting a 2006-2010 V8 model. These V8 models have a 6R60 or 6R80 six speed transmission which is very durable and with good maintenance can last up to 250k miles, or more. Also, the V8s in the 2006-2010 models have around 50-55 horsepower more the than 2002-2005 V8 models and gets better gas mileage.

The main issue with the 4.0L SOHC V6 in your Explorer is the timing chains and guides will eventually fail. Many do this way before they reach the miles you have on your Explorer. When this occurs it can destroy the engine. Even if it doesn't destroy the engine, the procedure to replace the timing chains and guides require the engine to be removed from the vehicle. This is done typically at cost of around $2k-$2.5k just for the repair and a massive cost of $4k-$5k if the engine has to be replaced if you don't do the work yourself. Personally, I would not put a lot of money into a high mileage V6 Explorer or Mountaineer that hasn't had the chains and guides replaced in the last 50k miles. If you are looking at replacing the one you have then keep in mind that any 2002-2005 model and any V6 2006-2010 model has the same 5R55 transmission as your Explorer. These transmissions are prone to failure any time after 100k miles that typically requires a rebuild or replacement for around $3k.

If you decide to replace your vehicle, I strongly recommend getting a 2006-2010 V8 model. These V8 models have a 6R60 or 6R80 six speed transmission which is very durable and with good maintenance can last up to 250k miles, or more. Also, the V8s in the 2006-2010 models have around 50-55 horsepower more the than 2002-2005 V8 models and get better gets better gas mileage.
WOW EDDIE!!!! YOU JUST SAVED ME A FORTUNE!!!! Thank you. I'm a fan of the Explorer and have heard stories about the timing chains but not as in depth as you just put it. Especially with the transmission. I've read too many stories online and videos on YouTube about the failures. I figured if I did the replacement of the solenoids, then I should get my money's worth.

I will start looking for a new Explorer. A 2010 would be great because it is just before they changed the body style.

Thanks again.

WOW EDDIE!!!! YOU JUST SAVED ME A FORTUNE!!!! Thank you. I'm a fan of the Explorer and have heard stories about the timing chains but not as in depth as you just put it. Especially with the transmission. I've read too many stories online and videos on YouTube about the failures. I figured if I did the replacement of the solenoids, then I should get my money's worth.

I will start looking for a new Explorer. A 2010 would be great because it is just before they changed the body style.

Thanks again.
You are welcome.

Of the 2006-2010 V8s the best ones to buy are the 2009 and 2010 models. One reason is they have a 6R80 transmission that is a little beefier than the 6R60 that is in the 2006-2008 models. Also, the 2006-2008 models have spark plugs that are prone to breaking into two pieces when they are extracted. The tip remains in the head and it takes a special tool to remove them. The heads were redesigned to use a one piece plug for the 2009 and 2010 models that prevents this problem. Another issue with 2006-2008 models is the insulation on the wiring can deteriorate in some vehicles and cause a number of issues that are very hard to diagnose. This seems to not be an issue with 2009 and 2010 models.

Another suggestion is to not buy a vehicle that has lived most of its life in areas that see a lot of road salt in the winter. This creates many rust related issues that will plague you with constant repairs and can eventually render the vehicle unsafe to drive over time as it rusts more. If you find a vehicle you plan to make an offer on then pull a Carfax report on it to see where it has resided. If is has been in the rust belt for many years then I would pass on it. Also, a Carfax report can show if a vehicle has been well maintained or has been in accidents. If you can, look for something to the south of where you are located where the roads are not salted. IMO, it is worth traveling to find a rust free or low rust vehicle. It will save you a lot of repairs down the road and it makes working on them yourself much, much easier.

Welcome to this forum! We have a section for lifts, and another section for transmissions. Both have a lot of useful information.
Thank you. I'm going to go look for a reasonably priced 2008-2010 Ford Explorer, V8 and start the build process. I'll look at the forums and share what knowledge I can. Looking forward to a great experience.

i agree with eddie. the Xs are good those are great the late 4G they make rancho quicklifts iirc body lift and maybe coil spacers i forgot but due to its nature its limited in lift potential

welcome to ef!

Welcome.

Back