New mods on our 06' explorer

Thunderace

Reaction score
City, State
Mn.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT 2WD 4.6
Slow but sure mods are gettin done,
i picked up a set of 18" mountaineer rims w/stock tpms sensors, then picked up a nice set of used 265/60-18 michelin lattude tour hp tires, they are 30.5" tall vs stock 29" tall(235/70-16), and a full 2" wider. They look good, ride nice n smooth, handle realy nice, have not checked the affect they have on mpg's yet, i will post when i check, i do know the speedo is off by about 3 mph, from mile post to mile post it reads 9/10 of a mile! also although i ran a large magnet over the tpms sensors before i mounted the tires onto rims, i have had no tpms light come on, and i did not reset anything with the keys/ignition switch/on/off procedure that is used.

Took the roof rack off, lowes has little black caps to cover the bolts, i can install rack in about 15-20 min if i need it.

Also i only cut 1/2 coil off each spring last fall, it dropped it almost 3/4" in front, 1/2" in back, i really would like it dropped a little more, not sure if im going to cut another 1/2 coil or buy drop springs, i found that eaton detroit spring (detroit) can make drop springs for $190 a pr.(online quote from mike). Check'em out. HOW DO I POST PICTURES??:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To post pictures sign up for an account on photobucket.com, upload the pictures, then paste the IMG address here.

yeah post pics let see how it looks

Pictures !!

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO FIGURE OUT THE POSTING A PICTURE THING!
FORGOT TO CHANGE DATE ON CAMERA! THESE ARE CURRENT PICTURES!

Defintitely like the smooth look without the roof rack. But the SVT badge has to go. Just my .02. Otherwise, nice rig.

Looks good

The wheels don't look right on it, but otherwise pretty nice.

Looks good. I would get "Ford" center caps, or purchase FORD decal overlays to cover the Mercury logos. Lose the SVT badge (for sure). I'm also unsure why one would want to lower a ride, but add taller tires?

Thanks for comments,
these rims were not my first choice but i got them dirt cheap w/factory sensors on them ($150-set of 4), tires also cheap ($100), so for $250 i can ride all summer and find out if i like the 18" combo before i spend big money on rims/tires, yes i need to get rid of the mercury center logo.

Yes i would like it lower, lower the center of gravity, make it handle better, i want to get away from the 4x4 look. A little taller tire fills the wheel wells, the 16" looked small.

Svt logo? Im making my version of a svt explorer!:d

so after a few miles racked up i like the ride and handling of the wider tires, the taller tire should gain me a little mpgs but i feel the weight of these rims counter act that (these freaking things are heavy), mpgs remain about the same so far.

GOOD DAY

Great deal on the rims. I would have bought them too for that much. The sensors alone are worth more. Tires look great for the $ as well. They do fill out the wheel wheels nicely.

How'd you get your roof rack off? Was it a pain to do?

How'd you get your roof rack off? Was it a pain to do?

Probably not since he said he could put it back on in 15-20 minutes.:biggthump

And I like how it looks, might try it on mine.

Back