• Register Today It's free!

New Noob!

GigaShadow

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
I just purchased a 2005 Explorer Sport Trac XLS for my wife. Finally I will enjoy driving her car. ;)

I have step bars ordered and they will be in next week. A few things surprised me though... I know I purchased the XLS, but considering it has power locks and windows I assumed it would have keyless entry, but it didn't. I also discovered the outside mirrors have to be manually adjusted which really doesn't bother me, but you would think Ford would have included those two things in with power windows and door locks.

I noticed that the tires on the XLS seem a bit "thin" when looking at the car from behind - maybe it is just my imagination since I drive an 04 Audi A4 quattro and it has lower and wider tires. My question would be will 255/70 tires fit on the 16 inch stock aluminum rims (original tire size 235/70).

Sorry if these are stupid gripes or questions as I really do love the vehicle. Much better than her 03 Pontiac Vibe. :) This is the first SUV/Truck we have owned.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wellcome
You have the standard XLS package,I do believe you can get a wireless keypad that is made for the trac, maybe from ford parts network.
The tire size change should be fine but you will not be gaining much in size diff.
Go Here; www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

spindlecone said:
Wellcome
You have the standard XLS package,I do believe you can get a wireless keypad that is made for the trac, maybe from ford parts network.
The tire size change should be fine but you will not be gaining much in size diff.
Go Here; www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Thanks! Cool site, but it doesn't tell me how wide the tire difference is. Which number on the tire is the actual tread width?

Yes I did indeed get the standard XLS package - with the hard top and the bed extender. My brother in law is the parts manager at the Ford Dealership and for $200 I can get keyless entry so thats not really a big deal. I also have a question (I have searched the net and read the manual) about the audio system. It is the single cd unit - I assume it is not MP3 compatible even though I read on one site every 2005 stereo would be MP3 compatible? I was hoping to switch it out for the dual cassette/CD unit, but couldn't find one as I have an iPod that works perfectly with my Audi's dual unit using the cassette adaptor.

Also does traction lock is equipped on mine, how much of a difference does this make in the rain for example? Sorry for so many questions. :)

Width will be about the same, no nothing about the audio. If you want wider tires your going to need to go aftermarket on the rims.
I run 18/8.5s no problem, whats the axle code on the drivers door

Attachments

• Mvc-003s.jpg
    Mvc-003s.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 150

Will check when I get home.

Welcome to the site:D

Welcome to the forum.
Stick around, these guys and gals know more about explorers than I will ever need to know!

Now that i have been nice.
WHERE ARE THE PICS!!!!!

I need to see a nice shiny new paint so I can pretend that's what mine still looks like :D

Nice ride man, and welcome to the site... now get some pics ;)
-Cody

Will take some this weekend!

Back