• Register Today It's free!

New owner, couple of problems

Dino61

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney NSW
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hi, bought a 97 XLT last night, from 80miles up the freeway from home.Pretty straight and clean for its age, and drives well. However on the freeway the o/d light started flashing, and my son who was driving it back as I followed noticed the temp gauge wasn't working. I want to check the temp gauge sending unit, but as I haven't had time to buy a manual, don't know where it is..can anyone help? The water was down a little in the radiator, and nothing in the header tank, but the radiator cap looks suspect, so Ill replace that first thing...
I read here somewhere that the flashing o/d light is a trouble light and not necessarily related to a trans problem?
Cheers,Dean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The O/D light flashing is the transmission's equivalent of the engine's Check Engine Light. It means the control unit has detected a problem. It may be something minor, but always a good idea to find out what the problem is, as continuing to drive it may be the worst thing to do. Reading the error code will give you an idea of the severity of the problem.

Temperature gauge sender is at front right corner of intake manifold.

Hi, great, thanks for the info!

A slightly more pressing problem, is that trying to drive it just now, it wont come out of park...! any ideas?

I tried the key off, into neutral etc as per the handbook, but nothing....

aah did a search and found the hole under the cupholder, and pushed in a screwdriver and its ok again.....this looks like its going to be a joy!

I cleared the overdrive light flashing with my scanner, be interesting to see if it comes back...under the hood I found the earth strap in the pic , does anyone know where its meant to attach to?

strap.jpg

I cleared the overdrive light flashing with my scanner, be interesting to see if it comes back...under the hood I found the earth strap in the pic , does anyone know where its meant to attach to?

strap.jpg

Hood, based on its placement.

ah ok, thanks, Ill look at that :)

The flashing O/D light could be many things. If you just got the truck, first step is to check the transmission fluid. Check both the level and the color. Also wouldn't hurt to take a look at all the other fluids as well. You already found low coolant, so I'd go over it very carefully to make sure the other fluids are good

Yes thanks, done all that, replaced the radiator cap, oil change planned for today or tomorrow, good news is the flashing o/d light hasn't come back,done a 100 odd miles... bad news is it looks like the blend door could be cactus....but Ive ordered a manual off Amazon, for $1.93! so Ill wait till I have that and check out the rest of how the heater is meant to work, what controls the vent actions, before I dive into that one. All in all Im very happy with my purchase, truck is pretty much immaculate inside and out for its age and for $2900 I'm rapt...
97xlt.jpg

Back