New to the explorer world, with some basic questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to the explorer world, with some basic questions

chris112

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just picked up an 08 Explorer XLT yesterday with 25k on it for what I think is a good price. My previous car was a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, which I did love but just got tired of getting down into cars. It had every bell and whistle that I liked and I did not make any mods to it besides a factory spoiler and a factory (in Japan) arm rest extension. Previous (it feels like forever ago) to that I had a 2000 Cavalier which was during my younger days where I "pimped" it out with a body kit, rims, tv etc.. With my explorer, I just want to make it comfortable and practicle. I did some searches on this forum and found a lot of great info, but I am so unfamiliar with Ford, that I am not sure what I have or don't have. My questions are pretty simple for most and I am sure posted somewhere on the forum, but with the searches I am not sure which applies to me.

1. Sirius Radio- I am not sure if my radio is capable of this, but I would like to use my factory radio for sirius or atleast a factory looking one. When I hit the Aux button I just get a message stating nothing is plugged in. I don't see any signs that I have Sirius in this explorer. Whichout spending an arm and a leg, what is my cheapest option to getting Sirius installed, but keeping it controled through my headunit and keeping the steering wheel controls working. Do we have a double din radio? I don't mind getting an aftermarket radio, but I don't like the look of a double din space with a single din radio with the kit showing. What aftermarket radios fit like stock? I looked on cructchfield but it looked like everything was a single din.
  2. Husky or other brand floor liner (trunk and mats)- What floor liners does everyone usually get? I have seen Husky and one other brand that were pretty expensive, are there any other options? Any recommendations for a 3 row XLT that doesn't plan to use the 3rd row often?
  3. roof rails- I will probably need some cross bars for my roof fails, is there an affordable place to get some?
  4. privacy cover- I never received a privacy cover with my XLT, is that normaly with a 3rd row? I plan to go back and ask the dealer Monday, but if they give me a hard time I want to have some amo ready. If they do not, where can I get one affordably online?

I again appreciate your time reading this and am a very active member in my prior forums. I am doing all the reading I can and am sure these questions are posted somewhere, but I guess this post is considered my "hello" and while I'm at it I have a few questions..

Thanks again and enjoy your Sunday (and football). I am not sure where everyone is from, but we are getting our first little bit of snow in CT now.

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can probably find a shaker series ford radio found in the mustang will fit in your ex and it sat ready? does your ex have sync? As far as the mats go you can get a set of all weather mats from ford as also with the cross bars.

Hey cris, I just recently bought an 07 explorer xlt. I to want to upgrade my stereo. I went to crutchfield and typed in my vehicle. Then on the left side of the page it gives you options to choose from. It does give choices in double din, with pics.

I also have the 3 rd row seating that I wont use. J.C.Whitney has cargo mats that cover the entire area. I'll be getting this as well.

Go to the search function on here and type in, radio. I just did and saw a write up on your sirius radio/navigation question. Here ya go. Check my post here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=228860 for details on how to add Sirius.

Hey man...I have the weathertech extreme duty floor mats in my 06 Limited. They are amazing and cover every inch of the floor with overlap onto the trim. Def recommended! I got them from JC Whitney and a great deal with the online coupons!!

If you have the media button you should be sat radio ready.

As for the floor mats I too went with the Weathertech extreme duty. I got them through autoanything.com. Check prices between them and mats.com. It will come down to tax and shipping on who has the better deal. Mats.com actually drop ships for autoanything so go with the best price. If you want cheaper mats that is exactly what you will get. I went with the front, rear, third row seldom used but might as well, and the two piece for the cargo area. Two piece is so you can still keep a little protection for when the third row is in use.

Now on to the cargo area cover... If you have the third row Ford deleted the option of the cargo area cover. All the mounting points are still there so I am going to give it a try and see if the cover will fit. More to follow on that later.

Chris,

I too have been looking for upgraded floor mats for my new Mountaineer. Something that covers more than the factory versions. I think Lloyd's Ultimats do the trick if you want carpeted versions. Not cheap thought.

I just bought the Cargoliner Ultimate Petliner for the rear cargo area of my Mountaineer. Very nice. I considered the CanvasBack model, but the PetLiner was cheaper and closer to the factory vinyl versions of a couple of years ago, but way better.

As far as the roof rails go, I have been looking for those too. They're about $85 plus shipping from the online Ford accessory websites. But they go slightly cheap on eBay.

Regarding the cargo/privacy cover for third row seats. My friend’s 2008 Explorer came with the 3rd row and a cargo cover from Ford, so they did make the covers at one time...If they are any different from the 2 row models.

Chris

If you have the media button you should be sat radio ready.

As for the floor mats I too went with the Weathertech extreme duty. I got them through autoanything.com. Check prices between them and mats.com. It will come down to tax and shipping on who has the better deal. Mats.com actually drop ships for autoanything so go with the best price. If you want cheaper mats that is exactly what you will get. I went with the front, rear, third row seldom used but might as well, and the two piece for the cargo area. Two piece is so you can still keep a little protection for when the third row is in use.

Now on to the cargo area cover... If you have the third row Ford deleted the option of the cargo area cover. All the mounting points are still there so I am going to give it a try and see if the cover will fit. More to follow on that later.

Thanks please let me know how it works out with the cargo cover and 3rd row, I am still very interested in that! I ended up getting weathertech mats for the front and 2nd row and also the 2 piece for the cargo area! Very nice stuff! I also purchased an after market cd player (double din) which had Ipod controls and sirius built in. Its a decent stock looking deck and a cheapr alternative then buying the factory deck with sirius enabled.

Thanks!

Another update! Believe it or not I ended up getting a 2nd set of Mats and a Cargo liner as a gift from another relative. I went to Canada for a week and some crappy weather and luckily had my first set of cargo liners in which I feel saved my carpets. If anyone is interested in purchasing my 2nd new set of liners (still sealed in the box) off of me feel free to email me at chris_medeiros@hotmail.com with an offer.

Thanks again guys!

My Expy came with the luggage rack cross bars. I have no use for them. I'd be happy to offer them to you.

-Michael

Back