• Register Today It's free!

New tranny, question.

Scooz

Reaction score
City, State
South Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Ok i just swapped in a used a4ld from a 93 ranger 4x4 into my 94 explorer 4x4. Everything seems good for now. Though im pretty sure i dont have the overdrive gear. I can only hear it go through 4 gears and when im cruising at 55mph the rpms are at 2500. No Its not a huge problem, but i would like the OD when i travel to work. Did the 93 rangers or just early a4ld's not have an overdrive gear? Shift linkage messed up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1st thing I'd recommend is to identify which shift is missing (if any). The A4LD is a four speed transmission with a locking torque converter. You will usually feel four "shifts": 1-2, 2-3unlock, 3unlock-4unlock, 4unlock-4lock. When you say you can hear it go through 4 gears, do you mean 4 shifts or 3 shifts?

As in it goes 1-2 2-3 3-4. So three shifts but four gears.

It's not unheard of to not "feel" the TCC lockup. At this point, we need to identify what is missing, if anything.

Does it do anything different with the selector in D? D will prevent the upshift into 4th gear, but won't prevent the TCC from locking. If it behaves the same, then we'll focus on determining why it won't upshift into 4th. If it loses a shift, then we can focus on whether or not the TCC is locking up.

Well it gets into 4th gear in overdrive. But not overdrive. It stays in 4th at 2500 rpms when im doing 50-55 steadily. I noticed that was a bit high. It does the same in D.

Do you mean that the rpms are the same at 55 mph or so no matter whether it's in D or in [D]? If so, then it's not going into 4th.

Back