New Trans - shifter off half a gear on shifter - 2008 XEB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Trans - shifter off half a gear on shifter - 2008 XEB

08EddieCA

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 & 03 X (Eddie B & XLS)
Hello,

I just had a new transmission installed into my 2008 4x4 EB 4.0L.

All gears work well. As a matter of fact, the truck runs wonderfully.

If I want to put the car into drive, I have to put the gear selector into 3 then push into D, when it engages beautifly.

Is there a way I can adjust the shifter myself to get the shifter to go right into D? My wife cant seem to get the car into Drive. Trans shop is a bit of a haul from where I live.

Thank you!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried to get this shifter aligned. No luck. I think I made it worse. Took it back to the the tyranny shop tonight and asked the owner to put the car in Reverse. He couldn't. He said it needed to be aligned or the electronic shifter mechanism needed to be replaced. I told him I didn't care and that I only needed the truck to go into Reverse or Driver upon moving the shifter correctly. Otherwise, the car was useless to me. He understood. For what it's worth, I drove the truck to Orange County from Los Angeles and back - it runs so smooth. Very please with how it runs. Once it is in gear, it's smooth.

He agreed and promised the truck mid-day tomorrow - Friday. In the mean time, I replaced the water pump, thermostat and thermostat housing, couple of pullies, fan clutch, hoses, serp belt, and flushed the coolant. Water pump was scraping against the block make an howling noise. Lot's of aluminum shavings in the thermostat housing. The coolant was grey/brown. Took me a few times to get the contaminants out of the system.

back to the shop. mechanic couldnt get this truck into reverse and agreed the linkage needed to be aligned.

Mechanic seemed annoyed until he tried to get it into reverse with no luck. He was a lot nicer after that.

Eddie -

did the shop rebuilt the tranny or they installed re-manufactured one ?
Maybe I was just lucky but my 5r55s was just a straight bolt on and I did no adjustments. When I think about it now, not sure how I would adjust anything. I do not recall exactly what gear I had it in, but I just made sure that if I had the shifter in N position inside the car, the MLPS was the second notch as well, and that was it.
Maybe somehow they connected the linkage with 1 gear position off ?

They fix it. It's 90% right on the shifter. Next time I go get service at the dealer I'll have them take a look at it. Most important is my wife can drive it.
They rebuilt mine. Did a good job. Drove to Griffith Park today. Nice and smooth.

Back