New Vehicle High PSI Readings Upon Delivery | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Vehicle High PSI Readings Upon Delivery

High PSI tires seem to happen way to often on new vehicles. Pre delivery inspection should fix that but like Peter said, lets hope they didn't miss any thing else.
That's my concern. If they missed the tire PSI it leads me to believe they're not following a pre-delivery checklist.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've experienced this also - our 2022 Timberline was delivered with about 47 PSI over all tires. There was a noticeable crown on the tire at that pressure. Not sure why the dealer can't set the pressure correctly but it seems to be a thing for them as in -
Several years ago I bought a Taurus from my parents since I had kids approaching 16 and needed a 'learner' car. It's a 2008 and it has what I would call low profile tires but the first time I drove it I thought man - something is wrong with this thing - it rode horribly. A few months before I bought it they had it serviced at the dealer (different dealer than mine) with all the aforementioned checks. I found the tires at 45 PSI. Brought them down to the recommended pressure and it rode much better.
I can understand the average Joe not realizing that the maximum pressure on the sidewall is not the recommended pressure because they don't understand how the weight of the vehicle affects the pressure you should run in the tire. But the dealer?
It's a piddly complaint for me that's easily resolved but it doesn't build confidence that I'm dealing with the right people when something needs to be fixed.

not w ford or anything specific, but rental cars ive had are always either under PSI or way over (like 40 something!!!) i think maybe they just fill em up by how much time, or when it "feels like enough 🤣 " cause theyre not a consistent 45, only once in a while is it like that, then i assume they filled it to the sidewall pressure. know someone who bought a new corolla and had that issue, not that high, but it was40 allaround. he asked why it got squirly, and that was why🤣 i skipped over the basic for some reason, and inspected suspension etc, then it occured to me to check pressure... felt stupid a good while after that...

"The only way to be sure is to check it yourself. At least pressure gauges can fit in your pocket." Now THERE'S a revelation for you. I had a friend who bought a new Mazda RX-7. He brought it by my work to show it off. I took it for a short drive - man was it nimble! Plus, it rode like a door on wheels. When I got back, I mentioned that to him. Sure enough, the tires were at 50 psi. Back at normal, that was a fun car!

I would think the dealerships would lower the pressure to the vehicle recommended as soon ass it arrives. The ride quality is so much better when the tires a properly inflated. Better ride quality means more sales. Mine are currently a couple over but are still much better than the 50 lbs it came with.

Just thought I'd throw this thread out there for the owners on the new 2020 vehicles. It has been reported by a few members that their psi readings were all in the 45 - 50 psi range. I believe tires are usually over-inflated at the factory to prevent 'flat-spotting' or loss of pressure while they sit waiting for delivery.
This should be part of the predelivery inspection that the dealers perform once the vehicle is sold. However, it seems that some are not correcting the psi to the manufacturer's recommended levels.
Posted FYI.

Peter
I know that when temps reach below 50 degrees or so, tire will probably loose 5 FPS automatically.

Back