newbie question help

ram2500

Reaction score
City, State
virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt 4x4
Hi

I just joined the forum, I have a 96 explorer xlt 4x4 automatic. It has 103,000 miles on it. The transmission was slipping 2 to 3rd so I replaced it with a reman unit. All gears shift fine. However now when i'm driving for a while and I decelerate I hear like chain slipping on gears or gears slipping. There is also a thunking noise sometimes. As soon as I give it more gas the gear/chain nosie goes away. I'm pretty sure that the transfer case is the problem just want to get others advice. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! It could also be the sound of your torque converter bolts working lose from the flex plate. I would pull the starter out and check them. Takes about 30 minutes to check them all out and re-install the starter.

The bolts on the torque converter are tight and when I put them on i used loctight.

I'm suspecting your transfer case myself.

I think i'm going to go ahead and look for a used transfer case. I dont want to send the money for a reman unit.

Back