Newbie sound scheming

Smurfslayer

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB
Hello,
I just bought a '91 EB w/ premium sound. The head unit was a pioneer with the face plate missing. I replaced it with a Kenwood Excelon 711. On fire up, I noticed that at over 1/2 volume, the factory 'sub' was making noise. Even the wife disliked it, so I got a 6.5" mid/sub from Crutchfield for 50 smackers... sounds better... but I want more...

Here's what I'd like to do -
I don't have the $$$ to do this at once, so I would like to do this in stages...

I like the head unit I have, I'll leave that alone.

I'd like to replace the speakers, when I'm done, I'm shooting for 50w rms. Crutchfield reccomended the Pioneer speakers, & their catalog does reflect some pretty good stats...

? - any suggestions for the door speakers considering no other immediate changes, but eventually around 50 w rms ?

I'd like to have more bass...

I like the MTX Thunderforms 10".

? - will it run off the factory sub amp ?
? - anyone know the rms wattage of the factory amps ?

Any suggestions on amps ?

Thanks for the help in advance...

I would suggest the pioneer door speakers. I have used rockford, and the mtx but after a few months they just get really distorted. THe pioneers are the only ones that I have found that work great with the factory amp. Hope that helps.

EB check your speakers with a multi meter tosee if they are blown also check your wires forhe chaffing. This will bring the distortion. Especially if you are using the stock amp or your aftermarket amp gains are too high. What I would do Smurf is buy a set of compnents like rockford fosgate infinity (the new refence series are sweet and affortable) Then I would purchuse a set of the same brand and modle mid bass drivers like a 6.5 set(and crossovers if they don't come the speakers)if you want voice in the back go with full range 6.5's. and put them in the back doors or side panels if you have a sport. I would get a 4 channel amp about 600 watts or so maybe a rockford 600a4 or something simular. Then I would get a Q-logic enclouser and put a infinity perfect rockford he2 or hx2 subwoofer. Stay away from the IMPP subs from pioneer. basicly any sub that crutchfield carrys is good besides Jensen and the IMPP's. But for amps they carry rockford mtx jbl infinity US acustics, are pretty good. Then I would get a RF 500a2, JBL 600.1, infinity beta digital 100 if you get a single voice coil sub then I would go to the 500a2 the infinity beta digital 300 or something by mtx(im not fimilar with them too much). Figure if you get this stuff from crutchfield it will cost around 1700 bucks plus the enclouser but if you shop around on the internet it will be around 1000 plus the enclouser or so. Or you can give me your money and I can build you a real nice system with higher quality brands for less then the crutchfield prices :) if you shop around on the net look for Image dynamics IDQ subs PPI amps MBquarts speakers Focal Speakers CD tech speakers and rememeber wiring and install acc's. look for lighting audio stinger pheniox gold(who also makes badass amps and pretty good subs) Also I have to tell every newbie to stay away from 6x9's and other wierd shape speakers including L7 subs by kicker(who make good amps ands round subs, just a little pricey compaired to its compition RF) because all sound waves are round so to get get good sound the wavez have to be round. Square waves are also known as distortion witch is audio's worst enemy. I hope this helped just get a hold of me for more info if you want it.

Back