• Register Today It's free!

Next Vehicle

V8_NBX

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 NBX
What are people replacing their Explorer's with? I've got a 2004 V8 NBX with 100k miles on it. It's had it's fair share of issues, but every time I test drive a vehicle and then get back into my Explorer,they just don't compare.

Anyway, here is the list of vehicles I've test driven so far...

Ford Explorer
Dodge Durango (V8 and V6)
Honda Pilot
Toyota Highlander
Toyota 4Runner
Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon

I hope to get into something that's a bit better on fuel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgive my ignorance.....what is "NBX"?

of what you listed, the Durango with the Variable cyllinder hemi will be the only one to improve gas mileage.

at 100K on your Explorer, what are the "fair share of issues"? Are you not an enthusiast who likes doing the actual work? Not anything wrong with that, just wondering.

All of the other vehicles you mentioned will get about the same mileage as your 4.6L Exp.

I guess it depends on what you want/need the SUV for.

I personally need a "truck/suv" which can tow, haul and at the same time handle the family of 4, etc.

Some people just need the room to haul people and groceries, not towing or actual "truck" activities. then many of the crossover vehicles fit in bretween, including the 2012 Explorer.

My wife and kids, and I rented a Ford Flex for a recent Thanksgiving trip from Dallas to Charlotte NC. 2,200 mile round trip. The Flex was BEYOND impressive!. 22-24mpg with all 4 of us and all the stuff for a week. Drove amazingly well, quiet, I was blown away. I told my wife I wasn't set on Keeping the Monty ('04 4.6 AWD) and needing a vehicle to tow with, I'd consider trading in. I also REALLY not like having the payment too.. LOL.

For a REAL truck/SUV the new Durango or the Jeep Grand cherokee with the Hemi are the only ones left. I'd kill to have a 2008-2011 STR-8 Jeep in a heartbeat... amazing suv there...

It really comes down to if you "NEED" the truck side of the Gen 1-3 Explorer/Monty. If not, then step down a category and look at uni-body (car chassis) crossovers. From the Ford Edge through the Flex and into the new Explorer etc... If you are not brand loyal, there are TONS of options in that category.

I personally can't stand the thought of another damn Subraban/Yukon/Denali/Escalade on the road. Them and their pompous ass owners make me almost as mad as Corvette and BMW owners.

I'm a die-hard ford guy, but another off the wall option, just thinking out loud, in the crossover category are the Mazda CX7 or CX9 and the amazingly overlooked, and so ugly only an owner could love, the Subaru Tribeca. I own a Subaru WRX Wagon as my Daily Driver. I'd buy another Subaru and its the first Non-Ford-Family car I ahve ever owned.

Let's put it this way: if our Monty burned up or was stolen next week, I would either buy a used Jeep SRT-8, A new Durango, or Ford Flex and deal with renting/borrowing a truck for towing.

Rob

My next vehicle will hopefully be a used Ford Edge. Drove one for a couple days and really liked it. Have to be used of course.

I have a friend who loves her edge. The vista moonroof is amazing...
Also my aunt just got a cx-9 and LOVES IT...(similar platform)
Just some food for thought. I'll never sell my x nor will I buy or drive anything but ford but that's me..
I have a 00 protoge 04 taurus and 05 explorer... Ford till I die...

D Hook, NBX refers to "No Boundaries Experience" which was a model of explorer that came with a yakima roof basket and skidplates underneath. Thats as far as my knowledge goes.

NBX adds to XLT: 17-inch machined aluminum wheels, P245/65R17 all-terrain OWL tires, off-road package, two-tone black front/rear bumper, black cladding, wheel lip moldings, step bars, rubber floor mats, cargo soft liner, storage bag, front tow hooks and unique cloth interior.

Thanks for the NBX explanation.

I just pulled a search on GOOGLE for it and that is what came up. I had chance to buy one once now I kinda wish I would have. Other than the 17's not a huge fan of them

Thanks for all of the input so far. I tow a small boat with the Explorer, less than 2000 pounds. Any crossover could handle that. I don't really need the truck features of a body on frame SUV, but I just love the dimensions of the Explorer. The size is perfect, not to small but not gigantic.

The "fair share" of issues are Tranny replacement and rebuilding of the rear differential like three times. These are things that are way beyond my skill level of repair. And cost lots and lots of $$$. The rear diff issues are well documented by others on this site.

I really like the Ford Edge, but I'm concerned it won't be big enough. My wife and I are expecting our first child in April and I have no idea how much room we're going to need.

I wanted to LOVE the new Explorer, but when I drive it there is something that just doesn't do it for me.

Take care.

Back