No blinkers - front parking lights get brighter when braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No blinkers - front parking lights get brighter when braking

alk8778

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
Well I just bought a 1992 Ranger and only issue I've found so far might land me with a ticket very soon so I want to get it solved asap. Previous owner did a front end conversion with a newer style ranger and swapped out the headlights/marker lights. He utilized all of the stock wiring in the new lights. All parking lights and brake lights work as normal...

However when you step on the brake, not only do the brake lights come on, but so do the turn signal indicators on the dash, as well as the brighter of the front market light filaments. As a related issue, the turn signals do not work. They do not even illuminate the marker lights. I know the high-beams, flash to pass, and wipers work just fine. I am at work now and cannot check the operation of the hazards, but can do that when i get home...

From this info, does it sound like the multifunction switch is bad? What else should I take a look at to properly diagnose this?

IMG_20130316_164136_zpsb772a5c8.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start with what somebody did, not what ford did. IMO. I know its dumb, but I had a jeep where the trailer plug was wired wrong and back fed thru. What happened was someone wired a 4 prong connector and shorted the taillight wiring The blinkers were tied to the brake lights. (front and rear) Hit the brakes, everything came on. blinkers where grounded some how and didn't work at all.

Well it ended up being the switch along with some "mis-placed" wiring. I determined the correct electrical flow of the switch and found that two wires had been swapped.

I put a new switch in and no longer had the problem of everything lighting up... but still had no blinkers. Corrected wiring and now everything works!

Back