No brakes!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No brakes!!!!

00Xplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
On the way home from work brakes stopped working completely...(had to use my E-brake to get home) brake pads are good and i aired the brakes to see it that was it but no..brake goes down normal but wont stop the car...is it the master cylender or the brake booster???? any help plz....thanks

Check fluid level first, you might have broken a line somewhere. Not likely to the booster - you would have horrible pedal without it. If fluids are full and nothing was changed recently which might have introduced air to the system then your master cylinder is probably bad.

What do you mean by "aired the brakes"?

interesting....

Really need more details....

My guess is you also have a ruptured line somewhere. (Happens a lot in winter.) Check your fluid level and if low....fill it, then lie on the ground while a friend pumps the brakes...it most likely will start dripping somewhere. Brake fluid doesn't just disappear or wear out so if the level is low it's a sign something is wrong elsewhere in the system.

Never heard of brakes suddenly failing and the pedal being solid. I had my brakes suddenly fail a few years back but pedal was very weak and turned out I ruptured the line that goes along the the rear axle. Was completely rusted especially where it clips into the differential housing. Bought a new line, took my time bending it with proper equipment, finessed it into place, filled with fluid, bled the system and checked for leaks. Not too difficult or expensive...but a bit time consuming and not fun to do lying on your back in snow.

(If you're not too familiar with all this then pay a pro...brakes are kinda important.)

Back