"NO LINK" when using OBD-II Scanner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"NO LINK" when using OBD-II Scanner

Sagebrush1976

Reaction score
City, State
Peach Bottom , PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Limited Edition
I just traded my beat up Ranger for a 95 Ex Limited. It has a pretty good "miss" when cruising down the road so I figured I would see if there were any stored codes. It is EEC-V OBDII. I hooked my scanner up and all i get is "NO LINK". Is this a sign of a bad ECU? I took the scanner from my Ex and hooked it up to the wifes Caddy and it works fine so I know it isn't a problem with the scanner. The Ex is also having problems with the 4wd switch acting stupid and the radio display blinks on and off at will. Could these all be related somehow? Any helpis appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just traded my beat up Ranger for a 95 Ex Limited. It has a pretty good "miss" when cruising down the road so I figured I would see if there were any stored codes. It is EEC-V OBDII. I hooked my scanner up and all i get is "NO LINK". Is this a sign of a bad ECU? I took the scanner from my Ex and hooked it up to the wifes Caddy and it works fine so I know it isn't a problem with the scanner. The Ex is also having problems with the 4wd switch acting stupid and the radio display blinks on and off at will. Could these all be related somehow? Any helpis appreciated!

The 1995 Explorer is not OBDII compliant. Gotta use the old paperclip method via the port in the engine compartment.

The 1995 Explorer is not OBDII compliant. Gotta use the old paperclip method via the port in the engine compartment.

So eventhough it has the OBDII plug under the steering wheel it is still EEC-IV? I thought some 95's were EEC-IV and some were EEC-V (OBDII)?:scratch:

It's called a "dummy port" on the 1995 models. It was put into place in preparation for the new OBD-II system, but it's not connected to anything. The EEC-IV test port is under the hood.

:banghead:Ok then....I'll check that out! Thanks!:thumbsup:

Can he do a KOEO check? Key On Engine Off? I used to do that with my '88 Ranger. On, off, on, off, on, off, on and the check engine light would flash the codes.

Check the sticky threads on the top of the EEC-IV section: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114

I just popped the hood and behold...the familiar "EEC TEST" plug is there. I've had a couple 86 Mercury Capri 5.0's and more than a handful of 1987-1993 Mustangs so this is indeed a familiar sight. Whether thats good or bad is yet to be decided.:rolleyes: Its 9:45 pm and about 18* outside so its going to have to wait until tomorrow before I get my "special" EEC-IV code scanner out. Thanks for for the link BrooklynBay.....I'll do some reading tonight.:thumbsup:

What kind of scanner do you have?

I have an old "sunpro" I think it is...$19.95 Pep Boys special. My "special" scanner is a piece of wire with spade terminals on each end. I've used this too many times to count on my old Capri-Stangs. I hate trying to find a 9V battery every time I try to use the real scanner so I always resort to the wire method.

Time for an update...1st off thanks Blee1099 & BrooklynBay for pointing me in the right direction with my EEC-V/EEC-IV confusion. I did check the codes and all I got was codes due to the engine not being warmed up enough before performing the test. I knew the engine wasn't getting warm enough so I changed the t-stat for a new one. I have heat now! WooHoo! I checked the codes again after the change, and a properly warmed up engine, and there wasn't a single code. I decided to pull a spark plug and see what's going on. The first plug I pulled (#4 I think..back plug drivers side) was a PITA to get out. I guess with the valve cover leaking (187k miles) the oil was gunked up in the plug hole, making the plug VERY hard to remove. It was so tight that I was expecting the worst with every click of the ratchet. Once the plug came out...in 1 piece thankfully, I realized why the poor Ex was running so poorly. The porcelain around the electrode was cracked in half! The rest of the plugs didn't look too bad. Apparently whoever did the last tune-up got scared with this plug and didn't change it. The other 5 were all newer "double platinum' while the bad plug was just a regular platinum. Make me wonder if it was the original plug stuck in there. After new plugs and wires the Ex runs great. Apparently the guy I got it from had been trying to find the problem too....I found a coil pack and CPU laying uder the back seat! I guess he threw a couple hundred $$$ at it and got disgusted. All it took was a $3 spark plug! Thanks again ExplorerForum! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update! What brand did you put in? Did you use anti-seize & tune up grease?

I went with the Autolite Double Platinum. My local speed shop had them on sale for $2.85 each. Ever since I had a little scare with plugs in my Mustang, I always use anti-seize. :eek:Something about the thought of a $3 plug messing up my $3500 Victor Race heads on my Stang really made me a believer in anti-seize!

Back