No More Wilderness A/T's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No More Wilderness A/T's

I finally received (after a 10 day wait) and mounted my Pirelli Scorpion A/T's Wednesday!! Talk about a difference of day and night. I knew that I was not completely satisfied with the Firestones from day one. Especially with their annoying and dangerous tendency to hydroplane in the rain. I had decided to get rid of them this past spring, before all of these recall issues had even surfaced but just had not gotten around to doing so until now. Good thing I did, because I noticed a nice deep horizontal cut/tear just below the tread of my left rear tire. Anyway, I just wish I had changed them alot sooner. It's only been a few days but the handling, braking and steering are greatly improved over the Firestones. Fortunately, is been raining for the last few days here so I had a chance to 'play' in it along with a little mud. There was absolutely NO hydroplaning at all. I am quite impressed and more than satisfied with the Scorpions.

[Edited by KodeBlu on 10-07-2000 at 03:17 PM]

Glad to hear that!!

I'm looking for some street tires for my Ranger, I will keep your experience in mind. Did you get 235's or did you go larger than stock?? How much did they cost you?

The fellow that invented the tread for the AT's lives in my town, and the factory that makes them is about 20 miles west of here. Pirelli makes the truck tires in the US b/c the market here is so big; nice to know they do a good job!

Best,
Brian in CA

The Pirelli's were an excellent choice. I upgraded to 31's and got almost two inches more ground clearance than the stock 235"s. Also I don't have to worry about hydroplaning anymore. My first Explorer was totaled due to the "Stones" hydroplaning while I was on the highway doing about 65 mph. I lost control of the vehicle and rolled twice. Fortunately I landed upright. I was O.K. but the truck was crunched beyond recognition. The first thing I did when I bought my second Explorer was to replace the factory tires. I got a chance to test out the wet weather capabilities of the Pirelli's while in AZ during the monsoon season and there were no problems at all. By the way, I got mine from Sears for $79 a piece (sale price). Sears would not mount the tires on the truck because they said that the manufacturer did not recommend the size upgrade. I had to take the tires to a local shop and they mounted them with no problems. I recommend these tires to everybody. Plus, the Pirelli AT's have an "S" speed rating of 112 mph, the BFG AT's only 99 mph.

[Edited by JM Dookie on 10-09-2000 at 11:29 PM]

Bridgestone Dueler H/L

Firestone replaced my Radial ATX's (5) with Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires. There is a BIG difference in handling - steering, braking, cornering and a 60,000 mile warranty......I too noticed the tendancy of the ATX tires to hydroplane and they were noisy. Although I would have preferred a more all terrain tire, the Dueler H/L seems to be a great tire. Also, my ABS does not tend to activate unecessarily as it did with the ATX.

In addition, I tested the tires on wet pavement and am impressed with the response, much better than the ATX tire.

I can't believe I drove on those ATX tires all this time, and not upgrading when it was time to replace them in years past.

One last thing, I installed Monroe VST Light Truck shocks on it --- now it really drives and handles like it should.

Back