• Register Today It's free!

no oil on dipstick

logan513

Reaction score
City, State
Portsmouth, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1987 Ranger 4x4
While checking my oil in my 1987 Ford Ranger 2.9 liter 4 x 4 I noticed there was none on the stick. I added two quarts and ziltch. This didn't make any sense because I keep a close eye on my fluid levels. I got under it and drained the oil and measured it into a gallon oil container and came up with five quarts, which is what the owners manual says it holds. I am not leaking any oil either. I bought an adjustable dipstick and rammed it all the way in and still it shows nothing even though I just put five quarts in and my pressure guage shows proper pressure. Is it possible that I have a bigger than standard block or oil pan...and if not, what the hell is going on????? loganmaster@hotmail.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you look to make sure the dipstick is actually going into the engine block? it is possible the dipstick housing itself came out of the block??

Otherwise what you describe is impossible.
2.9L = 5 quarts
If you put 5 quarts in the pan the dipstick will read it.

I don't know what an adjustabel dipstick is, but compare the length of the dipstick to a stock one for the right length. Got any wire of somekind that you can push in untill youi hit the pan and see how much shorter the dipstick is? If you have 5 quarts and still no reading. Put the tranny dipstick back in and check the other one. LOL

I found that the dipstick tube was broken in half down behind the exhaust manifold so that the dipstick was sliding out down along the outside of the block. I have never seen that happen before!

Good call 410. And I thought you lost your mind with that post. Now I'm getting down on my knees doing the Waynes World.....I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy. LOL

In another thread, there was somebody that had a similar problem on a 5R55E transmission. The filler neck pulled out. They sell an upgraded part that is like a repair kit to hold it in place. I wonder if they sell a similar part for the engine in this case?

^^ nah, thats what duct tape and JB weld is for.

Wow, NO oil on the dip stick? That dip stick ain't gona last very long!

Back