No overdrive | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No overdrive

Any ideas as to why converter is ok now as opposed to previous day? I'm thinking the converter solenoid must have stuck in on position. Now when brakes applied in forward or reverse it does not die.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if it's a possibility for the TCC solenoid to stick like that. About the only thing I could think of is that when it happens again, ground out the TCC solenoid wire several times to try and get it un-stuck. If that works then that's a pretty clear indication that the TCC is the direction you need to go.

Now that the converter is unlocked, I unplugged that connector under hood that goes to both of the solenoids, if trans stays good, then like you said it should a least rule out the possible bad torque converter solenoid. Thanks for your input.

I was thinking about manually switching both solenoids on and off with toggle inside cab. Can the lockup solenoid be applied while in drive 3 or will it only work in overdrive?

I was thinking about manually switching both solenoids on and off with toggle inside cab. Can the lockup solenoid be applied while in drive 3 or will it only work in overdrive?

Should be able to, that's what D is.

Ran two wires from the plug in engine compartment, 3/4 shift and converter lock to two toggle switches in cab to ground. Looks like the 3/4 shift is not working at all, but appears the converter is locking up. Someone suggested as much, maybe what I felt previously was just the converter lockup.

Just wanted to thank all of you that have helped me over the last 4 years. I have finally decided that this vehicle is a never ending project which will never be finished. She's been in the family since new in 1991, decided to move on to other projects. She's now for sale and will be missed. Maybe someday I will get a newer model as I really like the size and style.

Back