no power at trailer plug | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no power at trailer plug

hello I have a 98 sport 4x4 auto and I'm trying to hook up the lights on my tow dolly but I have no power at the factory trailer plug. I checked the fuses inside the cab one was blown but I guess it was not related. I also have a 6 pin to 4 pin adapter that someone gave me but i had to cut one of the nubs of to get it to fit into the factory socket, it fits in good can I use this or not? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the fuse box under the hood

i had the same problem when hooking up my camper. mines an 02 so it might help or might not. above my hitch there was a second plug behind the bumper (just above it under the truck). found that it had been unpluged after hours of messing around just happened to find it tracing wires. take a look it won't hurt.

I checked all the fuses and there is not a second plug

did you check the relay's under the hood? not sure which one but one of them controls the trailer plug-in Check in your owners manuel for which one

I don't have an owners manual how would I find out which one

check fuse #'s 16 and 28 under the hood

Dead Link Removed

Go to the above link for a free copy of your owners manual.

On my 96 Explorer Sport, there was a gargantuan 30A two prong fuse in the main engine compartment relay/fuse box for the trailer ruinning lights and trun signals. There were also two realys for the the trailer towing trun signal/brake lamps in a smaler realy box that is screwed into the inner fender right next to the battery in the engine compartment. I unscrewed mine from the inner fender for easier access before I popped the top off. It's just a sugestion.

There is also a 15A fuse (I think it was fuse #13) in the inside fuse box located on the drivers side of the dash panel but that fuse protects a number of other circuits as well.

Hope this is some help. The owners manual will have a bunch of good information on fuse locations and what they do. I recommend you burn a copy and keep a copy in the glove box. I have neer figured out how the owners manual ever gets separated form the vehicle but they alsays seem to once they become used cars,

Back