StevenGene

Reaction score
City, State
Roseville Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Hey Gents!

2006 Explorer 4.0

This has actually been present since i got the vehicle. Have owned it for about 5 years now. But sometimes upon accelerating i can hear what sounds like a tin can filled with marbles. Now this doesn't happen all the time but a good percentage of it. I can rule out one thing, It should not have anything to do with the timing components. This is a new engine that was put in about 10000 miles ago.With the upgraded timing parts. Transmission was also rebuilt about 35000 miles ago. This sound still remains. Now i thought at first that something in the exhaust system was coming in contact with another object while at lower RPMs. But i cant seem to find anything that would indicate that. I should also note that sometimes when accelerating (especially when getting on to the E-way), it feels like the truck just does not want to get up to speed. But this also doesn't happen all the time. and is also a fairly new issue. What do you all think, possible clogged/ semi clogged cat?

Sounds like the cat. converter is melting down inside and breaking apart (marbles in tin can sound), this will also restrict exhaust flow robbing HP.

Back